1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting programs to start at boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dingus, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

I think this one willbe easy for the experts.

Can anyone tell me how to get a program to start on bootup.
    I've tried placing them in the c:\Windows\start directory but that seems to just place it in the start menu.

2. nlcaravan

nlcaravan

Put a shortcut of the executable file that starts the program in the StarUp folder. The path of the Startup folder is C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.

Another way you can get a program to start on bootup is to change the options or preferences for that program. Some programs have the option to start on bootup and some do not.

I hope this helps!

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Nlcaravan, thanks for that it worked a treat. One problem I had was finding the directory you told me about. I have Windows ME, which hides it.

:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice