1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting PST file from Outlook 2003 on XP to 2007 on Vista??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a PST file that came from a Windows XP system running Outlook 2003 that I need to get into a Vista system running Outlook 2007. The old system does not run so I cannot export from there.

I managed to get the Outlook.pst file copied into the place of the one on the Vista system; but, when Outlook 2007 is started I get the following error:

Cannot open the default e-mail folders. File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to open the file."

I have taken ownership of the Users folder and the Documents and Settings folder and all their contents; but, that hasn't helped.

I'll sign this as "Lost in the endless Vista maze"

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

3. gurutech

gurutech

Try taking ownership of the PST file.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And remember, the "Documents and Settings folder" is really just a symbolic link to the "Users" folder.

Since it caused you problems on another thread with not backing up correctly, you should probably start using the USERS directory instead.

To see how this is working,
    1. Open an cmd prompt
    2. CD \
    3. DIR /AH

Notice how it shows
    " <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users]"

5. Alex Ethridge

I also placed the Outlook.pst file into the Users Document folder and tried in the root of C. That didn't work so I made a new folder in the root of C named "1" and put Outlook.pst into that. All locations gave the same error.

I used File> Open> Outlook Data File> etc. when attempting to open all of the above.

I'll look over some of the other suggestions and get back to you with the results.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is there anything special about the original file from the XP computer? Access rights assigned etc? I've done this several times with no problems.

7. Alex Ethridge

Bob, your link in post number two did the trick. Thanks.

In the past, I have always just copied the pst file to the new system, placed it anywhere I liked (usually in the My Documents folder for ease of backup) and pointed Outlook to it via the File> Open menu and the new Outlook picked it up and used it without a hitch.

This, however, had two things different from all the times I had done it before, Vista and Office 2007.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I just save all those steps and just configure Outlook to use whatever PST file is needed. Then you don't need to do any copying or importing.

9. Alex Ethridge

Well, I still have to copy the PST file from the old hard disk with the dead main board to the hard disk on the new system.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes if you want to access the information on the old PST file from a computer with a dead main board, it needs to be copied from the old computer to the working one.

11. mudgie

mudgie

I would be inclined to import the pst file into a native 2007 file rather than trying to copy it over and open it. The original might be 2002 (or earlier) format with the 2GB limitation.

12. Alex Ethridge

The PST file was under 400 Megs and there seems to be no option in Outlook 2007 to "import" a PST file.

Oh, and the original was from Outlook 2003.

13. mudgie

mudgie

Sure there is... create a new Outlook profile in 2007. Click file > import and export. Then click "import from another program or file" and follow the wizard. PST is one of the options.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, rather than all the steps to import, simply configure Outlook to use the PST file. It has to be copied to the new computer in either case, so that can't be eliminated.

15. Alex Ethridge

mudgie,

I must have missed that option. Anyhow, the job is finished; but, I'll remember it for next time. Because there will certainly be a next time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice