1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting ready to replace my 10 mbps wired router with a new 10/100 router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrx10, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

've got 4 computers configured on the 10 mbps router -1 ethernet port- hooked to the 10/100 switch--5 ethernet ports-- (which I'm going to dc). what configurations should I write down off the computers and what programs should be deleted before I delete the old router and install the new software for the new 10/100 router to make the process go smoothly. thx btw, I love the firewall in the old router can the old router be hooked to one port of the new router and into my main internet computer, just for it's hardware firewall?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you replacing the old router? Can you give us the make/model of the old one, and the new one you're looking at? If you want to continue using the old router and just use the new one for faster wireless, do this:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

because the 3com pcmcia card (10/100) in one of my old dell laptops can't be locked into either 10 or 100 to work thru the d-link 10/100 switch and the 10 mbps router ethernet port. there is no "advanced" tab under windows 2000 (although I found a driver for another 3 com card) that works with the pcm/cia card that I have, and put the advanced tab in the network settings but there is no setting to lock the speed. (which was the fix according to d-link who makes the switch.) the other 3 com drivers that I downloaded with the ability to lock the speed wouldn't drive the card. (and 3 com tech service was no help) hopefully with all the networking at 10/100 and a combined router switch this will solve the dell/3com connectivity problem. link to thread about 3com pcm/cia card connectivity problems. http://forums.techguy.org/networking/486836-old-dell-lattitude-cpi-will.html the old model router/firewall is a 2wire. thx for the quick reply.

4. JohnWill

Will my configuration solve your problem?

5. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

plugged up my 10/100 new router and got the 2 main computers on line and then decided to tackle the dell with the screwed up 3com lan card. nothing. even thru the new 10/100 router, same problem as the d-link switch. no connect light on the dell LT, and it showed network cable unplugged. grrrrrr. so I connect the cable modem to the 10/100 switch that I've d/ced out of the system. then connect one port to my new router and one port to my old router and plug up the dell to my old router. bingo. 3com light shows 10 mbps connection but I can only connect to the old router thru the dell and not to the internet. grrrrrrr. so just for grins I connect the new 10/100 router to the cable modem. then connect the old 1-ethernet port -router to the one of the new routers computer ports. thinking I'm going to be in "configuration hell". new 10/100 routers ports connect to 3 computers all running well and then the last and 4th port to the old router. then the old router is hooked to the dell. WTH, I'll leave all on auto and see what happens. all are up and running just fine. tomorrow, I'm going to go down and buy a new pcm/cia ethernet card and dump the 3com. UFB!

6. JohnWill

Sounds like you're at least close to a solution. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice