1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting really mad - McAfee anyone please, plus more

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ibquackers20, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibquackers20

ibquackers20 Thread Starter

Hi - I just installed McAfee antivirus and now every time I try to get the updates from off the internet And after I sign in and this is where it starts - nothing happens and it is a blank box as well - also if I try to access anything from the icon on the bottom right hand corner I get an error message saying - Msg:Incompatible version of the RPC stub.

Must say that I can not even uninstall and reinstall McAfee from my add remove program either - I get the same message.

P.s i HAVE WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION / PENTIUM 3 --- and does anyone know how I can fix the problem when a web page loads and it wants to open up a nother browser all I get is nothing but a blank page/brouser ----------- ggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeerrr

Do not know what my son has been up to on here,,,,,,,,,

2. golferbob

golferbob

had a lot of problems with mcafee 9.0 back in dec. it would not update ,just would sit and do nothing. uninstalled it and tried again with no luck. i put AVg 7.0 free in and have had no problems.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi ibquackers20

This is what I found for the Incompatible version of the RPC stub error:

"Incompatible Version of the RPC Stub" Error Message with the InstallShield Program

RPC Stub Error: Incompatible version of the RPC stub - "Unhandled Exception. Error number: 0x80070725"

Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) for Windows 98 v1.3

As I understand it, the Mcrepair.exe tool both updates and re-registers the following files with the following file versions:
    • Asycfilt.dll (2.40.4515)
    • Oleaut32.dll (2.40.4515)
    • Stdole2.tlb (2.40.4515
    • Olepro32.dll (5.0.4515)

You can run the Mcrepair.exe tool or install DCOM98.
    Please go through the information to see what would best fit your systems requirements.

See if you can get that error fixed and maybe the other problems are symptoms and will clear up.
    If not, we can address those problems then.

Let us know if it works or not.

4. bobc

bobc

I am confident that EAFiedler will get you sorted out with McAfee, so my "offering" is not a solution to your current problem, but a suggestion as to how you might avoid similar problems in the future.
    Stay clear of Anti virus programmes like McAfee, Dr Solomons, Norton, etc. They all have a tendency to "take over" your computer.
    Grisoft offer a free Anti virus programme to home users that I have found to be reliable and non-intrusive. Current update downloads are not quite as slick as they used to be as Grisoft are giving server preference to "paid up" users, but I am sure they will put more servers on the job eventually. Its a minor hitch in any event. You can get it from the following link if you are interested.
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Stay away from McAfee and Norton. Besides being memory hogs, they're problematic and very intrusive, and they're a real pain to clean out of your computer. :mad: (n)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice