1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting rid of a double router setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mystic54, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Hi, a couple months back I was helped in this post http://forums.techguy.org/networking/540229-making-my-router-into-access.html

Now, my friend who lives in the same town as me, has the same setup. I did the exact same prodcedure that worked for me, but for some reason it just doesn't work on his.

I assigned his router the ip 192.168.254.2 and disabled dhcp on it. The range on his modem was set to 192.168.254.5-192.168.254.253.

After moving the cable plugged into the modem into one of the open slots on his router, the internet did not work. I released/renewed his ip on each computer and got them to work. Everything seems to be going fine except for the fact that know he can't access his router at 192.168.254.2 for some reason. I was pretty sure I set mine and his up the exact same way and I can access my router but he can't. Do you know why?

His internet after that seemed to be going incredibly slow, so I reset the router and his setup is now back to what it was before I started tinkering.

Any ideas on how to get the router as an access point to the modem?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would help a bunch to know exactly what equipment we're dealing with. how about the make/model of both the primary and secondary routers to start.

3. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

speedstream modem 4200, linksys wrt54g wireless router, both currently acting as a router (what I was told before).

4. JohnWill

5. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ah, good old bridge mode. I think that was suggested to me by you last time I was having these issues when I was trying to get rid of the same setup for another friend (similar to this but bridge mode didn't work).

So all your saying is activate bridge mode and do nothing else? If it doesn't work for some reason, will resetting the modem get everything back to normal without any major changes in his connection?

Sorry to doubt, but I just have a weird feeling like last time when I tried to use bridge mode and it didn't work (maybe I did something wrong back then, I don't know).

6. JohnWill

Should recover. One question. Do you need a user name/password to access the DSL account? If so, you may have to enter those into the router's configuration if you reset it.

7. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

there is a username/password for both the modem and the router.

8. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ok, I am having him try it later today (hopefully), so I will get back to everybody with the results.

9. tipstir

tipstir

DSL is like dial-up you need user name and password to connect. This would be in you router PPPOE. Some modems like Speedstream didn't need to be configured with user name and password. The newer ones do..

10. JohnWill

The need for configuration really is dependent on the specific ISP in use.

11. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I guess I meant before it is just the default passwords put into the router and modem, no specific one given by his isp (windstream)

12. JohnWill

See page 17 of the user manual for default login after a factory reset.

13. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

For some reason the standard bridge mode the manual talks about isn't available. I scouted the rest of the modem and don't seem to find just a standard bridging option. Any ideas?

14. JohnWill

Did you check for a firmware update for the router?

15. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice