1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Rid Of Everything

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paige_jaclyn, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paige_jaclyn

paige_jaclyn Thread Starter

My mother's computer has been having it's share of problems. She asked one of her friends to work on it but all he did was delete Windows Media Player and Microsoft Word and now the computer claims it has no space to download anything even though we've moved everything on to external memory.I attempted system restore. Since it claims the computer has no memory left, it won't work. I have been told that I should just "crash" the computer and start over (though I don't believe that "crash" is the correct term for it). 2 Questions, first, is "crashing" this computer my best option or should I try something else, and second, if I do need to "crash" it, how would I go about doing this?

note: Like I said, the computer claims it has no memory to download.This means that downloading a program to fix it is obviously not an option.

Also, I accientally put this under the wrong thread. I have Windows XP

2. osarius

osarius

'Crash' certainly isn't the right word, but let's not be pedantic.

If you have a pen drive handy, download HijackThis onto it:

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HijackThis.exe

and run it from the pen drive on the machine.

Run HijackThis and click Scan. Once it has scanned, click Save Log. Save it onto the pen drive and it will open. Copy the whole contents in a reply to this thread.

We will analyse the log and tell you what to do next.

3. paige_jaclyn

Previously I posted a question about my problematic computer. I formatted the hard drive and that fixed it, or so I thought.
    Now anytime I download anything it stays at 0% for 15 minutes and then it tells me that it can't connect to the website that I'm downloading it from.

4. paige_jaclyn

Thanks for your help but I formatted the hard drive and that fixed most of our problems.
    Now, though, every time I try to download something it claims that it can't connect to the webpage I'm trying to download from. Know anything that could help?

5. osarius

osarius

What's the URI of the download?

That might not be your computer causing the error. The webpage might not be there.

6. paige_jaclyn

I highly doubt that that is the problem. I tried to download Mozilla Firefox, Itunes, and Windows Media Player.

7. osarius

osarius

If the computer came with a driver disk, insert that and install the drivers on it.

Is the computer wireless or wired?

8. paige_jaclyn

I have no idea if it came with a driver disk, but if it did than I don't have it because some idiot got rid of all my computer's software right after we got the computer, and it is wired.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice