Getting rid of extra partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ALKERguitar

Hey guys,

I was trying to make my system dual-boot, with Win98 (which I've used forever), and Linux (which I just wanted to install). I got as far as making the two partitions, and then decided I'd rather just have two hardrives, one with Win98 and one with Linux. I currently have two partitions. C:\ has 26 GB and D:\ has 11 GB. something went wrong with the partitioning process, and I think I might have just needed to format the second partition, but I didn't want to... Yada yada, my question is this: How do I get rid of the second partition (D:\) and just have a 37GB C:\ drive again?
Thanks,
~Alker

YOu may have to puchase a third party partitioning product, because i have never heard of any reliable non commercial partioning utility.

PartitionMagic is good.

I'd be very interested if you did however find a really good partitioning utility that is free

ALKERguitar

So far all that I've found is a shareware program HERE, but I haven't looked very hard... I'm going to try the program right now, I'll post how well it worked for me when I'm done. Thanks again!
~Alker

ALKERguitar

Aaahhhhhh, what do I do? I want to format a partition on my hard drive, because I'm not going to get my second hard drive for a while.. this'll just be temp. I have Redhat Linux, and I was wondering how to format this partition. My choices are:
FAT32
NTFS
Linux Ext2
Linux Ext3
BTW, I'm using PartitionMagic.
Thank you,
~Alker

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Well if you are going to be putting linux on the second partition you would use Ext2 or 3. But you dont need to use that third party partitioning tool to do that. You can do that during the linux install.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Originally posted by Whiteskin:
YOu may have to puchase a third party partitioning product, because i have never heard of any reliable non commercial partioning utility.

PartitionMagic is good.
I like PartitionMagic but I thought somebody said they have had success with Ranish Partition Manager.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online