1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting rid of extra partition

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ALKERguitar, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALKERguitar

ALKERguitar Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I was trying to make my system dual-boot, with Win98 (which I've used forever), and Linux (which I just wanted to install). I got as far as making the two partitions, and then decided I'd rather just have two hardrives, one with Win98 and one with Linux. I currently have two partitions. C:\ has 26 GB and D:\ has 11 GB. something went wrong with the partitioning process, and I think I might have just needed to format the second partition, but I didn't want to... Yada yada, my question is this: How do I get rid of the second partition (D:\) and just have a 37GB C:\ drive again?
    Thanks,
    ~Alker

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

YOu may have to puchase a third party partitioning product, because i have never heard of any reliable non commercial partioning utility.

PartitionMagic is good.

3. ALKERguitar

Awesome possum, thank you much, will do.
    Peace
    ~Alker

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I'd be very interested if you did however find a really good partitioning utility that is free

5. ALKERguitar

So far all that I've found is a shareware program HERE, but I haven't looked very hard... I'm going to try the program right now, I'll post how well it worked for me when I'm done. Thanks again!
    ~Alker

6. ALKERguitar

Aaahhhhhh, what do I do? I want to format a partition on my hard drive, because I'm not going to get my second hard drive for a while.. this'll just be temp. I have Redhat Linux, and I was wondering how to format this partition. My choices are:
    FAT32
    NTFS
    Linux Ext2
    Linux Ext3
    BTW, I'm using PartitionMagic.
    Thank you,
    ~Alker

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well if you are going to be putting linux on the second partition you would use Ext2 or 3. But you dont need to use that third party partitioning tool to do that. You can do that during the linux install.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I like PartitionMagic but I thought somebody said they have had success with Ranish Partition Manager.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice