1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting rid of McAfee for AVG

Discussion in 'General Security' started by greensubi, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

Hi guys. I hate McAfee which just came with my new computer. I wanted to remove it for AVG because it wants me to register for useless McAfee junk. Do I need to download AVG first before I remove McAfee?? Also do I need any special tools to remove McAfee other than just going to Remove Program? Thanks in advance!!

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

3. golferbob

golferbob

i have used the tool posted , it takes a little time but does a nice job. i think you will like avg free ,don't forget to get a firewall, i use comodo free.

4. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I will use my Windows firewall.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

6. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

O.K. so when I download these should I disable my Windows firewall or leave both running?? I have a brand new PC with Vista if that matters.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Leave the firewall running . . Download AVG, save it to your desktop . . disconnect from the internet and uninstall McAflee . . reboot and then install AVG . . connect to the internet and update AVG.

8. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

I already have AVG running and installed Spybot and Spywareblaster also. I mainly need to know when I install another firewall if I should leave the Windows firewall running also . thanks

9. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

As in having 2 firewalls active at one time.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

NO . . if you install a third-party firewall, disable the Windows Firewall ( it will usually disable during the install of the 3rd party one . . but check to be sure )

FWIW, I am not a beleiver in 3rd party Firewalls . . particularly if you are behind a router. The Windows Firewall is all I ever use ( after using 3rd party ones for 5 years )

11. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

So basically if I am on a home computer I really only need the basic Windows firewall? I never had any other firewalls other than Windows firewall on my other computers so this outgoing firewall is all news to me.

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

That's all I ever install . . . unless I have a client who cannot control his surfing habits . . then I load him up . . If you have Vista, the Firewall is two way

13. greensubi

greensubi Thread Starter

Thanks very much man. Have a happy holiday everyone!!!

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

And to you!!!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/660856