1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting rid of some wires...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bwalkerii2z, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bwalkerii2z

bwalkerii2z Thread Starter

I have two laptops, both are Dell. One is a older Inspiron, and the other is an XPS. I have dialup internet, and the Inspiron has a dialup modem, and the XPS doesn't. What I have to do to get internet is network with a Ethernet cable, one from another. The Inspiron doesn't have a Wireless Modem built in, but I have a USB card for it.
    What I have to do for internet as it is, is connect the dialup with the Inspiron, and with the Ethernet cable, I have internet with the XPS.
    What I want to know is if it is possible to use the Inspiron to create a Wireless network that has internet capability for my Dell XPS to connect to the dialup wirelessly throughout my house.
    If this is possible, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. bwalkerii2z

Both computers aren't running XP, one is Running Windows 7.

4. JohnWill

The basic configuration is the same, just the differences in configuring ICS are different. Which computer is running Win7, the host or the client?

5. bwalkerii2z

6. JohnWill

The client computer in this scenario remains at the Windows installation defaults, no special configuration is required. If you configure the XP computer with ICS correctly, the client will connect.

7. bwalkerii2z

Ok. I've got something else I'm trying to do.
    I picked up an old Qwest internet modem, I think thats what it is. Its got ethernet ports and it is able to put out a WIFI signal for internet.
    Is there any way that I can use my dialup internet and that box to make my dialup able to be connected to wirelessly?

8. JohnWill

You can't connect the dial-up service directly to that modem/router. You can use ICS as I described and then connect the router as a WAP as follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice