1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting rid of the Found New Hardware Wiz

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alranson, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alranson

alranson Thread Starter

hi not sure if this belongs in hardware or Windows Xp, but here goes...

About two weeks ago I did a bit of a cleanup of programs on my Sony Vaio laptop with WXP, and deleted a couple that I rarely if ever use (like, ones I last used two years ago etc).

Next time I booted up, I got the Found New Hardware wizard window appear. It doesn't say what new hardware it has found (just says "unknown" if you ask Windows to connect to Windows Update to find the software)), and I have no idea what it could be as I hadn't installed anything new. The window refuses to disappear if I click "cancel", and it keeps opening up everything I start up - it is driving me mad.

I have tried googling this problem and also reading all kinds of threads in this forum but I don't understand half the answers! Have tried going into Device Manager and looking to see if any of the hardware has any exclamation marks beside it, but can't see anything.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. haycg

haycg

Windows XP
    Do a System Restore to the date before you starting deleting things.
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which programs did you use to "cleanup of programs?

Which VAIO?

Please do NOT run system restore. It is not a time machine. It will help you recover from some errors.

If you don't want to see the notification, proceed with the driver installation. At the end, lower left, will a box to the left of some text which will tell you that you can check said box if you don't want to see the message again.

The item will remain, in Device Manager, as "unknown device"

RF123

4. alranson

alranson Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply O Distinguished One.

I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and looked for ones that were taking up a fair bit of memory which I never used, or hadn't used for ages. Then I chose the Remove buttons...

My Vaio's model number is VGN-N130G - I bought it in Minneapolis about three years ago. At some point I will be replacing it with a Nokia Booklet 3G (when they are at last out in the UK) because the Vaio is too big and heavy to carry around.

I agree about System Restore - it never works properly and anyway I can't do that as I had to turn off System Restore to get rid of a trojan horse virus recently.

Not sure what you mean about proceeding with the driver installation. I have already ticked the box that says "Don't prompt me again to install this software" but it still keeps doing it.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

That's the box to which I referred.
    :)

Try searching, using your favorite search engine using: "how to" disable "new hardware found"
    1 hit = http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/how-to-suppress-new-hardware-found/136752.html

You could go into the BIOS and disable, one at a time, integrated peripherals that you don't use. This, for me, would be a last resort.

RF123

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice