1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting rid of this adware / computer sluggishness

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigdan, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigdan

bigdan Thread Starter

Hi guys

I've been having a certain adware problem. I have this banner or toolbar or whatever one calls it appearing at the bottom of my screen. I've attached an image of it here but dont know if its big enough to make out.

For the adware I ran Spybot's Search and Destroy, as well as Adaware. Both found a lot of gunk but this horrible toolbar is still at the bottom of the screen and I cant even get rid of it by pressing the X at the topright corner or rightclicking on it or what not. Please help!

Thanks
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Download HiJack THis! . . look at the tutorial to see how to use it and post a copy of your log file in the Security section here . .

DO NOT fix anything until you get some feedback from one of the guru's

wrs

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Wow! Can it not be removed in Add-Remove programs, or is that too simple?

Here is something else you can do:

In IE, Tools, IE Options, Advanced, & under "Navigation" Uncheck:

"Activate install on demand" [Other] , and, "Activate install on demand" [Internet Explorer]

4. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Will give you a procedure to fix it yourself to keep it from being re-infected.
    [1] Download, install and run Webroots, Spysweeper
    [2] Download. install and run Firefox 1.0 Browser.
    [3] Get yourself a good virus program like Avast Anti-Virus which automatically updates its program and definitions.
    [2 and 3] are free programs, Spysweeper, which has won numberous
    awards is well worth the money. http://www.webroot.com/
    http://www.mozilla.org/
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Have you identified the toolbar? Need some info to find a fix.
    If you can find it, this program will get rid of it when you reboot.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/removereboot.html

5. bigdan

bigdan Thread Starter

Thanks for the first bit of advice, I've downloaded Hijack This and posted my log. I couldnt find the Security section whereever that is so just posted it in the same place this thread is posted in (what is that place called btw?).

Regarding Add/Remove programs, it just might work but I cant figure out how to. I hadnt thought about that earlier, I just checked it right now and theres so much stuff there I dont know what's what (keeping in mind there are 3 users on this computer). I did uncheck those options in IE though. Enable install on demand [Other] (or smth like that) was checked so I unchecked that, the other was already unchecked.

Spysweeper is already installed and was run in the last 2 days. It probably found something and cleaned up stuff but not this banner :mad: .

I assume you suggested Firefox not to FIX anything but as a replacement browser because it is more secure, right? If so I use Opera is that good enough, or is that also flawed?

I'm glad you mentioned this Virus Scanner, I really need one and of course free is good. Do you think this one is good enough though? I think I should invest the money, but if this is good enough then I'm happy :)

6. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Yes Opera is fine I use it and Firefox, I like both.

7. bigdan

bigdan Thread Starter

Hi

I posted a followup hijack this log on another thread. I got some responses on what to do and was told to then put up another log in the same thread. I havent heard any responses since then. That was about 3-4 days ago. Does this sound normal or is that thread not active anymore?

Thanks
    Dan

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I would stick to the other thread Dan.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice