1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting specific mails from Gmail?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by black_stallion, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black_stallion

black_stallion Thread Starter

I'm a bit new to using email-clients. So here's the thing: I have around 200 emails in my Gmail account which I want saved on my HD(as text,HTML,PDF or any other format that standard word processors can access and edit) I tried Thunderbird,Incredimail and Outlook. But what these applications did was try to download my entire mailbox into the program and then provide me options to save these particular 200 emails I found this rather inconvenient as I have used around 540 MB of my online space apart from the fact that I don't want to shell out 540 megs for all this. So, my question is, is there any way or application I can use to download only specific emails onto my HD? Or say, set options so that my email client will download only particular emails?

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Move the emails from the gmail inbox into another folder,
    leaving only the ones you want to save to your hard
    drive in the inbox.

All email clients will bring in all emails found in the
    gmail inbox.

If you still want a copy left at gmail, be sure to put a
    checkmark next to "leave a copy of message on the
    server."

3. black_stallion

So does that mean I should create another folder in Gmail to move those mails which I don't want to download, keep the ones I want in the "Inbox" and then use an email client? But even if I do this, the email client will download those mails too(regardless of which folder I place them in) How would that work then?

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Yes. If you create a folder, there is no reason the email client should
    want to download anything from that folder. It should only attempt to
    download what is in your Inbox.

As I mentioned, be sure to find the rule that leaves a copy on the
    server - just in case something doesn't go as you want it to go.

5. black_stallion

NO! Its isn't happening like you said.. I did this: Created a label in Gmail(I suppose that's the same as creating a 'folder') Then I moved the unnecessary mails in this folder and moved those that I want into the "Inbox".(So, now my "Inbox" had only those mails which I wanted to download. Next, I deleted my old preferences in MS Outlook 2007, re-set my account and started the download process and ended up with Outlook downloading mails in random order! Not only that, it downloaded those unwanted mails first and then it would have downloaded the Inbox stuff(though I didn't wait for all this process to get completed!)
    I even considered forwarding required mails to another new account and then using an email client. But, unfortunately Gmail doesn't allow batch forwarding(of old mails already present in the account).
    Then I tried using filters; but I was disappointed to see the miserable filtering capability of Thunderbird, Outlook and Incredimail equally. They can't just download mails from a specific sender(by the way, the mails which i want on my HD are all from one sender only-no multiple people involved)

So, I'm coming to the conclusion that what I want can NOT be done(atleast as of now). Guess, those mails should just stay in my damn "Inbox"(or whatever I'm supposed to call it!)

Thanks anyway!

6. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Gmail is setup differently than other emails - so I found out, a few times.

Here is what I did.
    1) Sent a test email to my gmail account.
    2) Moved it to the TRASH folder/label.
    3) Opened my email client (Windows Mail) and it did not bring in
    any trash email.

4) Once done with that, I went back to trash and put a checkmark
    on that email and moved it back to the INBOX.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice