1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting started in VB. Good program?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by bluemike, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluemike

bluemike Thread Starter

What's a good VB program to cut my teeth on? Keep in mind, that last time I use any form of BASIC was fourth grade....

Mike

2. abel

abel

Under the assumption that you are refering to old BASIC languages such as QBASIC or Quick BASIC I recommend nothing older than VB 6.0, and if you really want to be up-to-date go with VB NET.

I been programming with VB for a while and only once had to make use of something other than BASIC (used Visual C++) to create an executable that did what I wanted it to do.

3. bluemike

bluemike Thread Starter

Abel,

I see there is what MS is calling a "learning edition" for VB 6. Do you think that would be a good place to start? Or do yo think I should just jump into the full-blown VB?

Thanks....

4. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

The only difference with the learning edition and the full version is this (if I can remember correctly) - the learning editon cannot compile code into an executable and it doesn't come with the help files. I'm sure you can download the library (help files) for free from Microsoft's site though.

5. Varois83

Varois83

Bluemike

As mentionned by someone earlier, i would buy VB6 Pro directly opposed to VB6 learning edition. Same thing and the pro has many more features.
    Now after you do that get "MS VB6 Pro step by step" book and you will create simple VB programs in no time.

Best regards

Patrick

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice