1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting started with a basic website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by abisky, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abisky

abisky Thread Starter

Hi, I'm working as a freelance translator and transcriber and would like to create my own personal website. Lately I've been getting more orders but would still like to increase the amount of clients and workload. I've also been asked on more than one occasion whether I have my own website, so I figured it's time to create one.

The website itself can be quite basic. I would like it to have a nice, clean and neat design, a contact page, a small CV and some samples of the previous works that I have done.

What would you recommend to get started? Should I try building my own website using a Content Management System or would a webhosting service with an integrated website construction kit be the best option?

Since I'm either working on translations and transcriptions or trying to get new clients, I don't really have time to start learning web programming from scratch.

Hope you can give me some suggestions

Best regards

2. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

You could try to using Google sites , you can insert maps, forms and videos
    Embed calenders and docs and you can also publish it. You dont need to know web programming

3. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    I would look at a CMS. My choice would be Wordpress you can get yourself a site up and running in a few minutes and then tweak and add content after. The web builder programmes all tend to give a similar look where as there are thousands of Wordpress themes to choose from.

4. abisky

abisky Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the answers. Still a bit confused on how to get started with my website, but I did a bit of research and came across http://www.1and1.com/website which seems to be a good option for me since they offer a simple website builder and they are not too expensive. I also looked a bit into building a website with WordPress (found a good video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpoN4YIFt4) but it seems like a lot of work to get started. I guess WP might not be as straightforward as I expected.

If you have any other suggestions let me know, but I think I might start with a website builder, as I want to keep the site as simple as possible.

5. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

6. abisky

abisky Thread Starter

7. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

you're welcome

8. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Forget about 1and1 you will regret going to them for hosting. Just Google the complaints about their service.

9. abisky

abisky Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Colin, 1and1 was recomended to me by a friend but I'm in no rush so I will compare a few options before I sign up for any service.

Another friend of mine who is a graphic design artist and quite tech-savvy has also offered me his help, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about the whole project.

Btw I really love your site and I'm a bit jealous of you living in Southern Spain :) I visited Andalusia three years ago and found the cities, landscapes and beaches stunningly beautiful

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice