1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting the CD Rom driver installed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by micron, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micron

micron Thread Starter

I found an old computer Pentium 166 MHz I formatted the hard drive but the CD ROM drivers didn't load from the Windows 98 floppy I used. I went on the Internet and downloaded the driver on a floppy disk. How do I get the driver to install? There is no operating system installed on the computer. I can get to the A prompt. What command do I type to install the driver. I typed setup at the A prompt but that didn't work.

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

When starting with the floppy select with CD-ROM support.

Put the CD in the drive and type

E: (press Enter)

The prompt should now read E:\ (the CD drive).

If you are trying to install Windows, now type:

SETUP (press Enter)

This should start the Windows installation process.

Good luck.

Zee

3. micron

micron Thread Starter

Hi Zee
    E: is invalid
    When I put in the floppy I get a error massage Device driver not found mscd0001
    No valid CD Rom device driver selected
    I only get a A:\ prompt
    I went on the net and got the driver for the CD Rom on a floppy. How can I install from the floppy?

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Press DEL at startup to enter Bios setup and confirm the CD drive is there.

It's possible the drive is faulty or incorrectly installed.

You don't have to install any driver for it.

Zee

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the "Windows 98 Boot Floppy" link. This will allow you to download and save the 900 KB win98_img.exe file. Insert a blank floppy disk in its drive, then double-click the saved file. A progress window will appear until it finishes extracting its contents into the floppy disk. Once it's done, you'll have a fully-bootable startup floppy disk that contains the generic CDROM drivers. It'll automatically assign the letter X to the CDROM drive.

This startup floppy disk works for both Windows 98 and Windows ME. It'll allow you to fdisk and format a hard drive and then do a fresh install of Windows 98 or Windows ME. I've used it many times in the past. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!