1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting the most out of XP? Plus more questions :)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by caedas, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caedas

caedas Thread Starter

Heya all! First time poster here...(y)

I, like most people, have been running Windows XP for a long time now because I am a gamer/programmer...and the applications I use daily work well there. Or, at least, there was a time when this was true...

I've had my machine for quite a while now...maybe 3 years or so...and XP has given me a lot more trouble than usual every time I reinstall. I don't know if the updates are making things worse, or if M$ just wants to add more and more 'MSspy-ad-ware' to it's OS...or what.

Now then...(most) griping aside...I just reformatted not too long ago (~a week), and am having some issues that have me considering giving it another wipe (which, in my case, is quite an undertaking). But, before I do that...I want to ask the pro's here their opinions on several things...

1) I want to tweak my system so that it will perform at maximum efficiency.
    • Where can I find info on this?
    • What are the most important tweaks/tricks?
    • What are some personal recommendations (keeping in mind I am a gamer ;))?
    Perhaps not only limited to the OS, because I know my DSL/router could use some help as well :D.​

2) I've never had enough nerve to overclock my system, but since the 'new smell' has worn off of my system, I may want to give it a go. My board temperature runs between 25°C - 30°C and the CPU between 45°C - 50°C.
    • Should I consider, given the temperatures, trying out OC'ing?
    • What tools are the best for doing so?
    • What parts should I focus on OC'ing?
    • Where are my 'limits'?

and finally...

3) As I said...I am a gamer and from time to time an intermediate programmer. Obviously, I use several applications...like Dreamweaver, game software (most are DirectX to the best of my knowledge), Ventrilo...just to name a few important ones. After the recent bad tastes of Windows I have had, I am considering trying out Linux (Ubuntu) and running an emulator for anything that won't run otherwise.
    • Is this a bad idea?
    • What are the benefits/downfalls?

Thanks for reading my novel lol! I apologize in advance for the long and somewhat off-topic post...but hopefully you can find it in your hearts to forgive a noob :D.

Thanks in advance for the help and input!

2. kniht

kniht

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!