Getting TV on PC, but not quite what you think :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ajwatts

Sorry for the subject line, but I didn't know how else to phrase it!

Sorry, too, if something similar has already been asked - I searched for 'tv' and not one result came up.

I have attached a pic to help illustrate my point.

Now, here's the deal: I want to watch TV on my PC, but not in the usual way. As I understand it, getting TV on your PC involves using a tuner/capture card that plugs directly into the antenna. This is not what I want - I do not want to be able to view TV stations using my computer.

I just want whatever image is currently on the TV to appear on my monitor.

The current set-up is, as shown in the attached pic:
- We have satellite on the roof.
- A cable connects from the satellite into our cable TV unit.
- Our cable unit plugs into the VCR.
- The VCR plugs into the TV.

As a result, we can watch the cable TV through the VCR (and thus record it to videotape) and we can also watch videotapes on the TV.

What I would like is to have WHATEVER IMAGE IS SHOWN ON THE TV SCREEN AT THE TIME, whether it be a videotape, or cable TV, to appear on my computer monitor.

What hardware will I need to install in my PC and what kind of cable will be needed to connect them?

Best regards and thanks so much in advance for the help,
ajwatts

Attachments

ajwatts

Just for further clarification, plugging my TV OUTPUT into my monitor's INPUT will not do - I want to be able to use my monitor AS MY COMPUTER MONITOR while also watching whatever is on the TV via appropriate software at the same time.

I am told this piece of hardware would do it:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TV-Tuner-Vid...44749519QQcategoryZ111509QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Don't worry about the brand name, etc. :p)

Would it, assuming it works as described, do what I want?

I hope this all makes sense, and thanks again!
- ajwatts

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
But – to answer your question … a PCI capture card would (should) turn your PC into a Media Center that could be used to augment or replace your VCR.
Provided that your PC has a spare PCI slot and enough reserve power in the supply.

There are many wiring options … this configuration would also let you copy VHS tapes and you could also use the “Media Center” in place of the VHS recorder.

Attachments

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have a Media Center ... and yes, you can watch TV and computer at the same time.

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, you don't need a Media Center PC to have TV and applications running. I have a plain TV tuner on a system here, and you can watch it and have applications open.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
True - But doesn't adding a capture card (or an external capture box) with some software and maybe a remote -
make a computer that will function the same as a "Media Center" ?

One problem I see - He said he wanted to watch the output of the TV .. meaning the TV has to be on.
There is a delay in the computer TV display and audio -
so having both on at the same time, in the same room, will be very confusing.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can pipe the audio through most capture cards, hopefully it would stay "in-time" with the video. :)

I would not purchase that card. The manufactuer doesn't offer support for it on Sinotech's website, also there is no indication of the chipset being used. I believe you'd be highly disappointed with the output.

If your looking for a cheap tuner card, I'd recommend going with a Hauppage WinTV PCI, a Leadtech TV-xpert, or a Kworld tuner card.

TV-tuners are highly reliant on the chipset used, and the drivers/software that's available for them. There are alot of manufactuers that sell the cards with buggy drivers and don't offer any support. It's better to spend $30 on one that's guaranteed support than $15 with no support. If you buy one with no support, it probably won't work correctly, or you'll fight to get decent drivers, or it won't pick up channels right, or etc, etc.

I'd also get a internal PCI model instead of a external model. Most external tuners on the market are based on the older USB 1.1 to transfer data, and the USB 1.1 spec simply isn't up to the task (speed required) of transferring full motion video. There are USB 2.0 tuners, but most of them aren't up to the task either. Internal tuners are normally less problematic.

If you planned on using "windows media center" as the poster above, then you need to be aware that at this time, only hardware encoding tuner cards will work for analog TV, therefore the tuner card your looking at will not work. If you do plan on using windows media center, then you need to look for a tuner with "MCE" in the name, "hardware decoding" in the description, and for the best results look for a 550 chipset.

I found this thread the way it started, the poster couldn't find 'tv'..
I am interested in the same result, watching tv, movies, my vcr, on the computer.
Please forgive my redundant, boring rehash... but can't you just dump the vcr output into the "video card, box, whatever doohickey" and get the result the first inquirer sought?
I was looking at these USB 2.0 external tv thingies [pardon me] and cannot find adequate reviews [googled to death] to give me confidence to make a purchase.
I have a fairly old [2 years] 1.3 gigahertz machine, by technology standards, with 500 megs of ram, forty gig HD, and am not interested in donating money to some greedy vendor so I may enjoy the opportunity to enhance our already overstuffed landfills with equipment I cannot utilize.
Any opinions out there?

also in case it is of interest, can play game consoles, Xbox, PS2 etc. using your pc monitor or TV for much better resolutions

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Interesting .... Can your son also use the computer while watching the video with this device ?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
robertw19087 said:
... but can't you just dump the vcr output into the "video card, box, whatever doohickey" and get the result the first inquirer sought? ...
YES.
If the capture device has a TV tuner, then you can hook it up two ways.
1: You can connect the antenna output of the VCR (or your non-digital cable/antenna service) to the antenna input of the capture device.

2: You can connect the composite video and audio ( the red, white and yellow RCA connectors) of the VCR to the matching capture device inputs.

You might want to check the minimum computer specifications required by these Video capture "doohickey" :) devices.
I don’t know what these minimum specs would be.

if your video card you own has tvout with the dual out option. You could pull tv in thru a tv card and bouce it out thur your tv out on video card i have a 6800 that i use to watch movies and use pc use dual output so its like having 2 desktops.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts