1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting very frustrated...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vicious, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vicious

Vicious Thread Starter

Ok, a continuation of my last problem that is lost somewhere and i dont feel like digging up...

[Problem] My CD burner is very picky about Data discs, in fact it just wont burn them altogether, this is a problem because i need to back up alot of my files because i have hardly any room left on my hard drive.

My CD burner is a Sony CD-RW CRX0811 [edit] this is the model i get from device manager, the model on the box is CRX140E/CH2 its under a year old and has worked fine for everything but data discs. I HAVE burned 2 working discs with it, but everything afterwords has gone corrupt after the burn.

Im mainly trying to back up a large amount of stored movies on my harddrive, i was told that you cant burn movies as data but one of the 2 good data discs was a few movies so apparenlty that is not so.

I was asked to try disabling DMA on my burner, tried that as well and it didnt help, ive tried shutting down all programs except for Systray, Explorer and my burning software, turning off all power saving options, etc. but nothing so far has worked.

This is what happens when the CD is finished, if it is a movie than the length of the movie is cut down to 5 seconds to 8 minutes in the length section of media player

this is what it looks like when played off the CD i burned for my friend

http://isengarde.homestead.com/files/problem1.jpg

this is what it looks like when played off my hard drive

http://isengarde.homestead.com/files/problem2.jpg

usually all movies when played back will play normally for the first 1-2 seconds, they get glitchy after that, and around 5-8 seconds in they lock up, and i get an unspecified error

not only does this happen with movies, but i cant burn any form of media to a CD without it becoming corrupt, i tried burning a downloaded half-life mod for my friend so he wouldnt have to download it over his 56k (heh poor kid) and it ended up being corrupt as well

[edit] ive tried using a few different burning programs as well as different types of discs as well

id appreciate any help because im being forced to convert all my AVI format movies to MPG to burn as video cd's (thankfully they still work), but as almost ALL my movies are in AVI format and conversion takes a long time, the process is going WAY to slow

if you need more information ill be glad to support it, just ask, and thanks in advance

2. Rockn

Rockn

You never stated what you burning software was. Try another type of software and if that fails I would suspect your burner is burnt out. Call the manufacturer and get a replacement before the warranty runs out.

3. Vicious

Vicious Thread Starter

Ive tried Nero and Sony CD Extreme

and the warranty is already out..
    but it still burns normal things, just not data discs....

4. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean by normal things??

5. Vicious

Vicious Thread Starter

Burns VideoCD and Audio CD's just fine, but no data storage =/

6. Rockn

Rockn

Try using Nero and their version of InCD. Sounds like a setting in the software that is not set properly, if the session finishes and does not close, you won't be able to read it in a standard CD-ROM. There are two modes called "Disc at once " and "track at once" that might need to be toggled.

7. Vicious

Vicious Thread Starter

Nero wont let me switch from track at once to Disc at once..

and what is INcd?

8. Rockn

Rockn

Used for CD packet writing....it should be on their web site for free.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice