1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting very slow internet speeds through wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amishbr07, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

Hi

I live in a townhouse in a college campus which means we all have the same ISP. I checked the channels and checked wifi stumbler. They both look good. For the last few days I have been getting really slow internet speeds after 7 pm till 1 am. I am paying for 25 mbps but around that time I get 0.5 mbps. I have the latest firmware for the router. I talked to customer support twice and all they did was reset my router and tell me to power cycle it. It can't be range of the router because my laptop is right next to it.

Can someone please help me fix this problem.

P.S: Here is my speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1759174150.png

Note: I usually get very low ping.

2. turnbulldst

turnbulldst

How is your speed when directly connected via ethernet? If your computer is right next to it then when dont you just cable it?

3. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

My speed while connected directly is decent, nowhere near the speed I am paying for however. Our modem only has one outlet in which the router is connected. We need the router because I am living with 4 friends who also use their laptops and need wi-fi on at all times.

4. turnbulldst

turnbulldst

Unfortunatley there isnt much you can do with a wireless connection short of changing the channel, you will experience much slower speeds if all 4 of you's are using the connection at the same time. In a building such as the one you stay in interference is enevitible. If your not receiving the speed you are paying for when directly connected to the modem then you will need to contact your internet provider.

5. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

Ok. I guess I have to do with 0.5 mbps speed.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You seem to be dealing with three issues.

One Comcast cable is serving your neighborhood, so it is entirely possible that more evening use slows everybody's access.

Multiple users on the same Wi-Fi network, as already mentioned, will usually slow everybody.

Some people may turn on their router only in the evening, so you may be getting wireless interference. Make sure you check for other networks at night. I like Xirrus for this, but the wifi stumbler may also do the job. FYI ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (including Radar, Connection and Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

7. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

Here you go. I apologize for the vulgar name, it was my roommates idea.

Also, by connection did you mean the connection test?

Attached Files:

8. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

I forgot to attach these.

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Suggest that you try using channel 1 (have to change the channel or bandwidth to 20 MHz instead of 20/40 MHz). That may result in less interference and better speeds even though you are reducing the maximum possible nominal connection speed.

10. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

What if there are 3 wireless routers running on channel 1 and two (including me) running on channel 3+7? Should I still change to channel 1 and 20 MHz?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depends on the signal strength. I suggested channel 1 because that gets you as far away as possible from the strong signals. I have no idea if that is going to help. But I know I would give it a try. :)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Farther complicating this situation is that where your roommates are located channel 1 may be the worst channel; depends on what networks (and signal strength) are detected by them.

13. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

I am not experiencing any problems so far tonight. I think it was because of the channel interference. I now know the problem.

Thank you guys for your time. Especially you Terry, this is my second problem you have solved. You rock!

14. amishbr07

amishbr07 Thread Starter

The problem started again. This time at 10 pm. I changed the channels to all the uncrowded channels to no avail. I really want to give comcast a piece of my mind right now.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just want to assure you that I am not part of the problem at 10 pm. By that time I have shut down all computers for the night. :)

Before discussing this with Comcast be sure to check your speed with an ethernet connection 'cause any problem caused by wireless interference is not their responsibility. I assume others in your vicinity are suffering the same problem. If enough people explain the situation to Comcast maybe, in spite of the cost to them, they will increase the total capacity to the area. I imagine, though, that this would not be immediate and would be expensive for them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice