1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Virgin Broadband, but don't know which router to buy for it

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Romega, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Romega

Romega Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm getting Virgin Broadband (4mb broadband speed through fibre optic cable), and I am wondering, which wireless router would you guys recommend for this broadband? I have a PC (with 2 ethernet ports) and a laptop (with a built-in wireless adapter) which would use this broadband connection. My price budget is from £30-£80. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Thank you. (y)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What modem or modem/router combo will you be using? Will it be supplied by the ISP or are you buying it?

3. jmwills

jmwills

Fiber In England? What's next? Real high speed internet here in Italy?

If you ISP does not supply a combo unit, I'd go with Linksys WRT54G. I have used Linksys, Netgear and D-Link and still keep coming back to Linksys as the best.

4. Romega

Romega Thread Starter

Yes, my ISP will be supplying me with a router, however, I dislike all ISP routers, I had BT broadband years ago, and the router they supplied me with was rubbish. Non of my friends like any of their ISP routers which are provided for them. So, yes I will be purchasing my own modem/router. My girlfriend has got this broadband deal the one I'm after, and she has the Linksys WRT54G, but it's a nightmare. Her connection disconnects her everyday, and the only way she can get it back is by going into the routers settings and going onto the status menu, and then either click on DCHP release or DCHP renew. It's a nightmare.

I'm not sure which router my friend has got, but again, he's got the broadband connection which I'm after, but he uses it virtually everyday non stop and his router is fine! I can't recall which router he has though, non the less, I've even researched the Linksys WRT54G, some of these models which they've sold of the WRT54G have been a nightmare for most people, and again it's the same connection problem. Do you have any more suggestions about which router I should get?

Thank You

5. jmwills

jmwills

Odd, becasue that is one of the highest rated router in the SOHO field. My guess is the users never cared to update the firmware.

I would still go with Linksys, but if that is not an option, Belkin and D-Link would be next in order.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can find horror stories about every brand and modem if you look hard enough.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Many people find that when their router (and Linksys's are no exception) has serious disconnect problems there is a firmware update to fix those problems.

Because I agree with JohnWill's above post I won't try to give any recommendations except to add Netgear and ZyXel to jmwills' list.

You have said that you are not going to use the ISP supplied equipment, but in case anybody wants to give specific model recommendations they need to know whether you plan to buy modem and router separately or as one unit. Am I right in assuming that a modem used with fiber is less common than one for cable or DSL?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice