1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Win7 internet via Ethernet cable to vista laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GruntOwner, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GruntOwner

GruntOwner Thread Starter

Hi. First post and borderline PC illiterate, so sorry if I'm slow. I've just gotten myself a shiny new PC that runs on windows 7 and, suprise suprise, it's having network trouble. My router is a Netgear DG834GT which is non compatable with 7 wirelessly as far as I can tell (I can plug the PC directly into the router via the ethernet cable and that works, but with my wireless dongle it won't even detect any networks, and they're all 802.11g so it should pick them up). The router is in the living room connected to my stepdad's desktop running XP so I'm in my room trying to use the ethernet cable to connect my new PC to my vista laptop which can connect just fine. This connects the PC to the network but I still can't get internet on the desktop. Is there anything I can do to make this work or is the whole idea stupid? Is there a simpler way without moving the router or changing it to a 7 compatible one? Thanks in advance and sorry if this is meant to be in the Windows 7 board but I've checked so many windows 7 help sites that I suspect it's more a network problem.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what makes you think that ?

lets see the following xirrus - first that will tell us if you can detect the wireless signals to start with
    Then an image of device manager all can be done while connected to the ethernet cable
    and an ipconfig /all - But disconnect the ethernet cable and connect the wireless - save the results and then reconnect via cable and post back here

Is the wireless secure - do you get asked to enter a key - if so are you sure the key is correct
    it would be worth deleting the profiles and try again

all details below
    anything you are not sure of post back and we will explain further

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here

{ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Wireless Profiles
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
    - Vista/Windows7:
    http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=214
    - delete the wireless profiles
    Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to
    --

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice