1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Windows 98 to ignore OE

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by stattad, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stattad

stattad Thread Starter

My mother, who is a very old senior, uses dial-up to get on the internet. For some reason, the computer thinks she wants Outlook Express opened when the computer dials out. I have checked her settings, and they say to connect using Bluelight, which is her ISP.

I have also read that you can't fully remove OE, but how do we get the OE connection window to not come up before the Bluelight screen?
    :confused:

2. doggard

doggard

Open Outlook express Tools/options/general page and check the tick options under send and recieve messages.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you don't want the computer to automatically start Outlook Express when you dial out, I think you may want to uncheck those items rather than checking them.

For example, uncheck Send and receive messages at startup. Also under "If my computer is not connected at this time, set it for "Do not connect"

And run MSCONFIG / startup tab to make sure Outlook Express is not set to start every time you start windows (not likely but might be worth a quick check).

4. stattad

stattad Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, but they didn't work. I will try to be more specific, in case I left something out.

When I open OE, it states that it is NOT the browser. But when someone clicks on Bluelight, a window which says "Dialup connection" appears. If we click on connect, it tries to dial out using OE, which doesn't work.

Instead. we X out the Dialup connection window and click on "connect" on the Bluelight window which sits in back of it. Then that automatically loads IE, which we X out and go to Firefox. So TWO programs are loading that we don't want.

And nothing unusual is in the startup tab.
    :mad:

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

OE (Outlook Express) is for e-mail, not browsing the web. But I have never seen Outlook Express give a message that it is NOT the browser. That would be like Word starting up and giving an error message that it is not Excel.

Also, being an e-mail program, I'm also not sure how the computer could be trying to dial out using OE. It is not for dialing or connecting to the Internet, just dealing with e-mail.

This is all completely different than what was described in the first post.

6. stattad

stattad Thread Starter

You're right. It's all very confusing to me. I assumed OE wanted to look for email and dial out in an unconventional way. The phone dials "22222" before the phone number. Is that a clue?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are you trying to dial first, and then have Outlook Express starting automatically (first post)

Or

Starting Outlook Express and it is dialing automatically (this last post)

If the last one is true, did you set Outlook Express as I recommended in the 3rd post.

You can also set IE (Tools / Internet Options / Connections tab to "Never dial a connection".

8. stattad

stattad Thread Starter

Bob:
    We don't ever want to use OE. We want Bluelight to dial out, but a window pops up in front of it. If I click Connect on it, it tries to dial "22222" and then a number and never connects. We don't want that window to appear.

Your "never dial a connection" idea sounds good. But does that pertain if Bluelight is the one dialing out, before IE ever appears?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I still don't know what is trying to dial. Again Outlook Express can't dial. It is only for e-mail.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

stattad,

Can you give some specific information on what the Bluelight window is? A separate dialing program? A shortcut to an existing dial up configuration?

You might double check in the Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options / Connections tab and make sure the correct dial-up configuration is set for the default.

11. stattad

stattad Thread Starter

Bluelight is a separate dialing program. I will check the IE Connections tab and make sure it isn't supposed to open after the connection the next time I go to her house.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then if you don't need any dial-up set through IE, I would just configure it to never dial a connection.

This way you have to manually start you dialing program before you try to access the Internet, which it sounds like what you want to happen.

13. stattad

stattad Thread Starter

Sorry to keep re-hashing this one, but it's pretty frustrating. I had my Mom check her Connections tab, and it WASN'T set to never dial out. So she changed it, hit apply and OK, and it still opened! I even had her open it up again so I could be sure she had it checked. It seems IE just wants to open no matter what!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice