1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Windows to recognize new DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joule, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joule

joule Thread Starter

I just installed a new DVD/RW drive, but Windows isn't seeing it. It only sees it as a CD-ROM drive. All the cables are plugged in properly. I tried Add Hardware from Control Panel and trying through Device Manager, but no success. Usually Windows should recognize it when new hardware is installed.

Could someone please help?

2. happyrck

happyrck

try uninstalling it in the device manager..then try using the add hardware in the control panel

3. joule

joule Thread Starter

Is that supposed to take awhile? Because when I uninstall it, it stays at that screen for awhile, almost looks like it freezes up.

Edit: I just ended that process. Took too long, as if it was frozen.

4. happyrck

happyrck

it should only take a second or two...try again

5. happyrck

happyrck

you can also launch your burning program and try to burn a DVD...sometimes the drives show up in my computer as a ROM drive but they still burn fine

6. joule

joule Thread Starter

Nah. Uninstalling does the same thing. Freezes up.

Weird. Nero 7 Premium InfoTool sees the drive and gives the specifics on it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice