1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Write-Protection off my flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RealDreBranch, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealDreBranch

RealDreBranch Thread Starter

For the past few days I have dealt with my flash drive saying files are write-protected whenever I try to delete a file, save a file or move a file to another place. On yesterday I talked to another online computer helper and went through many different ways of trying to solve the problem. Finally he came up with the suggestion of backing my files from my flash drive onto an external hard drive, then reset the flash drive. I didn't have an external flash drive at the time so I couldn't do that. I now have one and need help with the whole process.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Just copy the files onto the computer (or onto another drive). But simply copying them to the computer "C:" drive would be easiest.

I assume this drive hasn't always been "write protected"? It could be locked by software or the drive could actually be faulty.

3. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    If this is a USB thumb drive then it may have failed & locked itself to prevent file corruption.
    Copy all files from the drive to the PC or external drive & run diskpart on the thumb drive.
    Open cmd/powershell with admin & enter:
    Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk X (where X is the number of the USB drive you want to clean - be extra careful here as it’s easy to make a mistake)
    Clean
    Exit

Now go to disk management & it’ll ask you to initialise the drive, do so.
    Then you can format it.
    If any part of this fails then the drive has ‘died’ so is useless.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice