1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GF4 or FX series ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XP-1800, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

I know.......another question about which gfx card...blah blah blah.....:)
    Sorry guys, but I just have to ask...:)
    I have my eye on a 'Gainward GeForce 4 PowerPack Ultra 750 128mb 8x xp Golden Sample TI-4800SE' which I can get reasonably cheap £88 (UK)
    Is this a good choice (am currently using a GF3 Ti200 64MB) or should I look to a mid range GF FX 5 series, or even a Radeon in the same sort of price range.........trying to get the best for as little as possible, shortage of cash...:)
    I like to play UT2003/C&C General/Mohaa + Spearhead and a few others.
    Using XP Pro-Abit KR7A-512MB DDR.
    I would be very grateful for your thoughts/opinions...........even if you just say "use Google !!!" etc.......................:D

2. McTimson

McTimson

The 4800 would be a great card, but it lacks DX9. Other than that, it's a great card. If I'm right, that £88 is $160, and for $160 here, you can get a Radeon 9600XT, which would be even better, because it has DX9 support. It will play pretty much any game you throw at it, I haven't seen one that doesn't work....yet.

3. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Many thanks McTimson for your quick reply. I only want to spend some money once to keep me playing current and newer games.
    Pity it seems I may have to move to ATI 'cos I have all the Nvidia drivers on cd and would have to start again with ATI drivers....:)
    I have always used Nvidia cards.....previous was a GF2 Ultra, and to me pretty much the same as this GF3 Ti200.
    I will have a looksee at the 9600XT prices.
    Thanks.

Update............hmmmmmm...just looked at a couple of pc parts sites and the 9600XT is around £120-145.........a fair bit more expensive.
    Still I guess I should be looking at a DX9 card.

4. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey

If you can spare a few extra bucks I would go for the newer cards just for the DX9 support as McTimson suggests. I've always used Nvidia cards too, but for my new card I decided to go ATI. I'm not disappointed at all. Can't be a blind loyalist, just gotta go with the best choice ;)

BTW, the 9600 XT seems to be a greatt card for a decent price.

5. McTimson

McTimson

If the 9600XT is that much over there, then don't bother...the 4800 is an excellent card, DX9 is good, but it's not required to play games. The 4800 will be able to play all the latest and greatest games, it just won't have DX9.

6. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Cheers guys for helpful replies.
    The only game I know that does need DX9 is 'Will Rock' which plays quite happily on my GF3 Ti200 card.........as long as I install DX9....:)
    I rather fancy the Gainward card as it seems to be a beefed up top range GF4 and perhaps on a par with the newer mid range FX series..?
    Never tried an ATI card, and since I am geared up for nvidia I might just stick with that................gotta be better than my current card.........:)

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

8. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Thanks StillLearnin'.............the 'vr-zone' site is one I hadn't found when looking for reviews.
    Thanks.
    I do rather fancy this card........got to be a good upgrade over my GF3 Ti200.......:)

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

GF3 Ti200; a tough card to beat in it's day and even now actually when you look at prices vs performance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-05.html

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/4129-1.htm

It still should be a better card for most games than the newer MX200/400 series or the FX5200 cards as they definitely aren't gaming cards. Good luck.

There was also a 128MB version but the memory chips were slower.

Make sure to use Detonator Destroyer to remove all the nvidia drivers, etc. Completely remove the GF card and shutdown. Boot up and then shutdown. Install the ATI card and boot back up. DON'T let Windows choose the drivers. Install the latest drivers (and Control Panel) manually. Set to 4x in BIOS when installing and reset to 8x after installation is complete. Disable any/all firewalls/anti-vrus apps BEFORE uninstalling/installing. Link:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=806

10. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Many thanks StillLearnin' for your info..............appreciated.
    Well the question re: the Gainward card doesn't matter now because the mangy site sold it before I could get the money together.........what a dirty trick to play on a bloke.............:)
    Took a lot of hunting to find a good card at a bargain price, and they go and sell it to someone before I could get it....:)
    Anyway, looks like it might be a Radeon 9600 Pro card, and will have to find more dosh.............never ending eh ?
    If I did go ATI I would probably wipe the puter and reinstall XP fresh with the new card. A bit more drastic than using Det Destroyer, but a darn sight more effective..........:d
    Thanks all.

11. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Sounds good. Thanks for replying back. Sorry about the vendor being so greedy they'll just sell to anybody instead of a well deserving person that participates in the TSG forums! Kinda p***** me off too. A fresh format/install would be great with XP as that version does not like to be tampered with regardless of what MS says. I won't use anything but Win2k Pro until the new Windows is out. Actually if you go in and get rid of all the "bloat" and rewrite some of it, XP Pro isn't "too" bad........... better than WinME but that's about it in our book. Good luck and you're welcome.

12. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Cheers StillLearnin'...................I wouldn't part with XP Pro now, not after using win98SE, then ME (Urrrgh......UT2003 kept crashing....mortal sin that !!) and also win2K Pro, and wasn't impressed with that either..........they all take too much setting up.
    XP does it all for me, and is nice and stable, and even I have trouble is trashing it.........:)
    Anyway, what ever gfx card I end up with, as long as I can happily play games without bother I will be a happy bunny.....:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/198914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice