1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GFX Card Dilemma - which one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BIGEYE, Apr 14, 2019.

1. BIGEYE

BIGEYE Thread Starter

I've just completed a new build with the following hardware:

• Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
    • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB CPU Cooling
    • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra gaming mobo
    • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (2 x 16 GB modules)
    • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD as my primary drive running Windows 10
    • Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD as 2nd SSD
    • Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive to store all files, photos, etc.

Now I have 2 GFX cards and need to know which one is best for my needs, which is for photo editing, occasional gaming, general computer work & internet. I will keep the better card and return the other. I am not much for understanding benchmarks, etc. and most of the reviews talk about things I don't even know. Anyway, the 2 cards are:

• Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Mini
    • Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+ Special Edition (8GB GDDR5/PCI Express 3.0/1560MHz/2100MHz)

Or, can anyone recommend a better card in the same price range?

Appreciate all help.

TIA

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Really either card is going to work fine. Editing pics/video is cpu intensive not video card intensive. For light gaming, either card is really overkill. FWIW I prefer nvidia cards [even though one of my systems uses an amd 580] and if you made me choose, I would take the 1070.

Nice system and you should be able to get a decent overclock on the cpu. I run an asus ROG crosshair board with a 1700X and it overclocks to 4gig with no problem; running cool with a coolermaster 240 liquid cooler.
    FWIW I have two personal systems; an intel 7600K [overclocked to 4.5gig] and a ryzen 1700X overclocked as above to 4gig. On any multicore benchmark, the ryzen system literally blows the intel out of the water; doubling the cinebench cpu score. On realbench, the ryzen outscores the intel by approx 35% On a single core bench, the intel outscores the ryzen [not surprising since the intel is clocked quite a bit higher]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice