1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gfx Card or Monitor? (vertical blue lines)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RipsaW, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RipsaW

RipsaW Thread Starter

Here is my problem:

[​IMG]

Happened shortly after installing some windows updates although I have no idea if it is related.

Basically the screen has a number of vertical blue lines, when you move the mouse around you can see the individual dots changing.

However it comes on randomly and dissapears when I install / uninstall anything. It does come back though randomly a bit later.

It dissapears when you reboot but can come back within 10mins to several hours.

Have updated gfx card drivers etc no luck.

Is this a problem with the monitor (tried changing phase and clock) or the graphics card?

Thanks for your time!

System:

Windows xp pro sp2
    Radeon 9500 Pro (Yes the card is old but it has served me very well and I have no need for high end video card)
    Hanns G 19" LCD (~ 1 year old)

2. erick295

erick295

Definitely the graphics card if it shows up in a screenshot. If it's a separate card, try removing it and reseating it. If reseating it doesn't work, and you have tried a different driver (that is, actually updated it instead of reinstalling the same version), then it probably just needs to be replaced. That screenshot looks like a textbook failure.

3. RipsaW

RipsaW Thread Starter

Thank you very much just wanted confirmation it was the gfx card before I replaced either. Glad it wasn't the lcd :) Will try the tests then look about replacements.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584200