1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gfx driver causes slow internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Slickster22, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slickster22

Slickster22 Thread Starter

everytime i install a driver for my 4870 it ends up slowing my internet to a crawl. internet is perfect without ati driver. its a fresh installation of xp pro, has anyone heard of this kind of thing? no matter what driver i install, upon reboot i discover that the internet has become unusable. i think currently i only have the generic video driver installed. can someone plz help!!!

2. Slickster22

Slickster22 Thread Starter

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried a stack repair after you install that driver? How about checking MSCONFIG for any startup pieces that might have been installed but not really necessary for proper operation?

I'd check your startup list before and after the driver installation and see what they added with that driver.

I'd also reset the stack and see if something they added to the TCP/IP stack might be the issue.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice