Ghost drive letters in Explorer

odehart

I'm not certain if this is a software problem File Explorer and Computer Management show the existence of two usb drives that are no longer there. They were there but I have unplugged both. I removed the drives as I needed them elsewhere but their ghosts remain. Shouldn't the drive letters disappear as there are no longer drives attached? If so how do I get rid of them? I inserted another usb drive and W10 gave it a new drive letter. Oh, flash drives all.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics, AMD64 Family 23 Model 24 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16310 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (403 GB Free); D: 931 GB (808 GB Free); E: 931 GB (902 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
Antivirus: System Shield, Enabled and Updated

Possible causes:
1. Flash drives were used for sharing
2. Corrupt registry (remnants)
3. Flash drives were used for "ReadyBoost"

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What happens after you remove those USB flash drives and then restart that computer?

plodr

Liz
Are you positive they are flash drives?
This is what my desktop shows
slots.jpg
The G and H letters are for the CF slot and SD slot in the case. There are no cards in these slots but they remain on the chance I will put a card in the slot to be read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online