1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ghost image check NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DVOM, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVOM

DVOM Thread Starter

I'm trying to do an integrity check on a Ghost 2003 image of a w2k partition. The source partition is NTFS and it's stored on a second HDD which is also NTFS. It's a 1.6GB image.

It's extremely slow. The message I get in the lower left corner of ghost says "Checking remaining NTFS MFT files". It can't get past these files and eventually times out.

I've tried setting up the image check from windows and alternately doing a "Run ghost interactively".

The initial imaging process takes about 5 minutes on 3.6GB of files.

Any ideas are appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I usually write my GHOST images to a FAT32 volume because I've had issues in the past with GHOST 2003 writing and restoring from an NTFS volume. I think you may want to consider that option.

For this problem, you could copy it to a FAT32 volume to do the check. :)

3. DVOM

DVOM Thread Starter

The problem was the secondary HDD. We tried a different drive and everything works right.

This also solves a slow file transfer problem with that drive.

I've d/l'ed the WD diagnostic tools to test it at some point.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!