Ghost image integrity question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Waiting

I Can not verify the image integrity of my Norton DVD Ghost backup disk.
After I click "run now" to start image verification I receive the following:
"Error accessing CD/DVD disk (1972)
No CD/DVD disk in drive
click retry click cancel"

The problem is: the DVD is in its proper drive.

Its also confusing because in step 5, I can view the contents of the image files using Ghost Explorer......Please advise.....thank you George

Using WinXP home
File system--NTFS
Ghost 2003

What version of Ghost are you using?

You might also copy all of the image data to a folder on your hard drive and run the integrity test there.

Waiting

dmullen said:
What version of Ghost are you using?

You might also copy all of the image data to a folder on your hard drive and run the integrity test there.
Ghost 2003....

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to copy the image to a hard drive somewhere, I don't think GHOST 2003 can deal with it on a DVD.

Hi
Norton Ghost 2003 can write an image to DVD, it can verify the integrity and restore an image from DVD.
Go to the following link and read the tutorial, it should give you the answers you require.
http://ghost.radified.com/

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's easy to say that, but I've never seen it actually work. :)

Hi
It is easy to restore an image from DVD using Ghost 2003, I have done it and have every confidence that I will be able to do so again, should the need arise. ( I hope it is not required).
However I have heard of people having problems using an external DVD via a USB
cable, but that was not specified

Waiting

warm133 said:
Hi
It is easy to restore an image from DVD using Ghost 2003, I have done it and have every confidence that I will be able to do so again, should the need arise. ( I hope it is not required).
However I have heard of people having problems using an external DVD via a USB cable, but that was not specified
The DVD drive is in the computer............Have you ever restored a drive using an exterior drive connected with USB? Or have you always used a
DVD? Your info is appreciated......thanks

Hi again,
I keep all my hard drive images on DVD, I have restored images using a Ghost boot floppy when my system was unable to boot (XP Home). I have also restored images to
to cure problems that have arisen, usually due to my own stupidity.
I suggest that you use the link, read the tutorial, follow the instructions given. and then post if you are still having problems.
I have given you the link because it explains things far better than I can.

Waiting

Hi warm133: You mentioned using the link, reading the tutorial etc....What link are you talking about. I'm tired so maybe I'm looking at it, but I don't see it.

I support post #7 fully. But, I've had to convert an image from ghost to an .iso and using NERO, burn that .iso image to cd, and restore from the cd.

How big is the used portion on your C: ? if less than 8.5GB get a dual-layer DVD, if larger get a HDA that's at least 25mb larger than the used space on your current c:

Instead of using backup, goin to "ADVANCED" and use CLONE. By the way, I'd also get rid of XP Home and go with professional. If you are having problems with your current c: and can not restore it, but still have data that you need. Don't give in and format it adn lose it all. You can recover everything on the drive normally. Any questions, lemme know!

Waiting

warm133 said:
Hi
Norton Ghost 2003 can write an image to DVD, it can verify the integrity and restore an image from DVD.
Go to the following link and read the tutorial, it should give you the answers you require.
http://ghost.radified.com/
warm133: Yes, you previously gave me the Radified link and also thanks for the tutorial and yur patience....

Mav434...You mentioned a dual layer DVD....Is the DVD sensitive on both sides? If so, can I mark on the DVD with a magic marker to indicate which side is no 1? My C drives used space is 8.21 which is under yur 8.5 rule.
Why did you recommended using CLONE instead of backup.

Thanks for yur rule of getting a HDD at least 25MB greater than the used space on the C drive.

no the DVD is not dual sided, it is dual layered. The drive accesses and writes the data all on one side, one layer is just deeper into the disk than the other. "Preferred by DVD drive manufacturers, Verbatim DVD media continues to set the standard for high-speed disc performance, reliability, and compatibility. DVD+R Double Layer nearly doubles the storage capacity with two AZO recording layers on a single-sided disc. Certified and supported by the industry high speed Double Layer writers, Verbatim discs are approved for high speed burning up to 6X speeds. Store up to 8.5GBs of video in approximately 19 minutes or less while maintaining compatibility with most DVD video players or DVD-ROM drives."

Clone instead of backup. Backup requires you to have a working O/S and file structure, (MBR), or you'll need to reload your O/S first. Clone creates an exact clone of your drive. You can have a destroyed partition, (MBR), and complete data corruption/loss on your HDA, pop in the DVD containing the cloned image, (copy bootable Ghost files to the DVD during cloning, it gives you that option) restart your machine, choose boot from DVD, select local, disk to disk. And about 15 minutes later you have a HDA with every application, piece of data, email every setting, your O/S just the way your machine was the day you created the image. I create generic images, XP Pro, Svc. Pk. 2, with all updates, Office 03 with all updates, burning software, quickbooks, photoshop, 4 different spyware/adware tools and Norton systemworks/internet security. Not configured for any particular user. Then when someone needs to install an O/S or re-format a drive, they can use this cloned image and they have all of this new software installed and ready to go in about 15 minutes. The image will detect any different PNP hardware hardware, so I copy the .cab files to the HDA that I am taking the image from and it has a resource to get what it needs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online