1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ghost Junk (aka A harddisk's poor bookkeeping)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kyran64, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyran64

kyran64 Thread Starter

Windows recently told me I had less than 200mb free on its partition and it kindly requested that I make more room for it. So I went through my C: partition and cleared out a few hundred megs of stuff. So it went from reporting 194mb to 600ish. Nifty.

Nero informed me that it needed 800mb of free space on it's caching partition before it could burn a data disc for me. So I went sifting and found a folder with 2gigs of rarred stuff that'd been sitting around since last time I backed up all of my important files..moved it to another partition.

..Going to My Computer and right-clicking properties for the C: still only reports about 600mb free on my 15gb partition. Checking the properties for each indivdual folder, it only adds up to less than 3 gigs. Where's the other 12?

I keep everything fully updated, usually.
    I've run Xoftspy to check for spyware, found relatively little.
    I've run full scan with Norton and found nothing.

Any ideas?

2. Stallcup

Stallcup

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, try doing this:

CHKDSK C: /F

It will ask you to reboot to run it, and it'll run after the reboot. See if that finds those missing clusters.

4. kyran64

kyran64 Thread Starter

Ok, I ran checkdisk and everything evidently checks out. Wherever my lost storage space has gone to, it's not in missing clusters.

I've downloaded and run Space Monger (NICE program btw, THANK YOU). There's a file named pagefile.sys that takes up nearly 2 gigs. After doing a bit of research, I find that it's a configurable temp file used for swapping data in and out of physical memory. Since I have 1.5GB of RAM, the size of the file makes sense.

There was also a hidden system folder named RecoveryBin. Evidently, a trial version of an undelete program I downloaded a while back put on my harddrive and has backed up EVERYTHING I've deleted since into that folder. I've since uninstalled it and deleted that folder, which puts me up to a free 8.6Gb of my 14.6 partition.

Things still aren't quite adding up. When all is said and done, there's still a Gig floating around somewhere that's unaccounted for. Is it possible that missing gig is just due to the way it's calculated? (I know a Kb is actually 1024 bytes and I understand why..I just don't know how that goes on to work with megs and gigs).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice