1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ghost restore from CD

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DanielLee, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanielLee

DanielLee Thread Starter

I have a uncompressed Ghost 7.0.0.414 image to CDR of one logical partition that consist of 89 ghost image files spanned across 17 Cd’s. Ghost did not ask me to reinsert CD #1 after the last CD was burned.

The files that are imaged are a combination of web pages, text documents, word documents, Word 2000 documents, photos, a couple of avi files and emails. The OS I am running is Windows 98 SE.

I went to restore the image and it did fine until half way through Cd#5 when I got a “CDR101: Not ready reading drive X, Abort, Retry, Fail” notice.

I copied the image files from the CD’s to partition 4 of my hard drive but it would not copy image file number 30 of disk five. I copied all of the other files to partition 4 and then tried to use Ghost Explorer to open them. I would not go past file 30.

I am able to read the contents of all of the files by right clicking and choosing “open with” and then choosing word pad. But I was not able to open file number 30 at all. It would go up to 99% then say it couldn’t open the file so I am assuming that the problem with the file is somewhere near the end.

With CD#5 in the CD player and the files that are on that CD open in Windows explorer I right clicked file #30 and chose “send to” and then “mail recipient”. That opened an email in Outlook Express with file number 30 as an attachment.

But the size of the attachment was only 4,896 KB, file number 30 is 4,928 KB so 32 KB did not get copied from the file. I saved that attachment to disk and was able to open it in word pad, edit it and then click save and have the file still be a Ghost image file.

I tried altering the file in different ways, saving it back to “read only” and then placing it in with the rest of the Ghost image files but ghost Explorer will still not go past that file.

I tried editing out everything from where the first HTML shows up to the end, saving only the code at the top of the file but that didn’t work either.

When open in word pad the files look like this (below). Some code then it changes to regular HTML then back to code again.

h
    RÊX½ú“B³^‰}[µÇL§ô3tj¶èéþƒjIj# ”aÓ)§ñ~xùU½ílÛvã*¥êʳÝéðŠzG¥k«øœyqÇm]¾#ØsÑݱ)³ñ,QŠ\ß|¹´Ëº ñ6Ê=Õº³&ô®½y¥æô>nßÚ2wÒS²½vʜc’æ¸Y(úqúôÔõl
    ©tÆÖ«rŒRKöŁ*M메sGÛ=±^Ï\è¦ÙÛîtõuh¢ºVž˜£±ÄÚ:Z”‘öáíÐ¥&×`–‹CÒhUF¸¥\
    A‚‚’ô¿ ±ù_ÐòaÇKßÐl‹ikú´’Ô-–¹6ÛV>?-=Ëf¡®®qâpÝå“e{|ëÊ}y6J5i§TÛׂ\µ=
    wÛñ÷]»#&=U]§4ü%àÓ<gwØ·Ül®œ›§—
    $¥ÔþU¥ÏÇ^Ì㛞ÕÑ:²£¥ì½£pÄÆ9ò®}uS= ñiËljèøØñª´’4{O"Š²e[œTœ%Íj¹3£KE¡Õ**.„$ëKõ)ZLÎ@\ú´âl€ŅŽè]>Ú

–‚’
    <!-- saved from url=(0043)http://www.bancomextdallas.com/links-nf.htm -->
    <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Links</TITLE>
    <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
    <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

-----------

I have looked at the opening and the close of several of the files and there does not seem to be any consistent closing code, it usually just goes directly to the other file even if it is right in the middle of a line of HTML.

For instance file number 31 ends with

<p><font face="Arial" size="2">Objetivo: Instancia técnica responsable de la emisión de avalúos de predios rústicos.</font></p>
    <p><font size="2" f

and file number 32 starts with

ace="Arial">Integrantes:</font></p>
    <table border="0" width="550" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="4">
    <tr>

So there is no code leading from one file to another at the end or start of each file (as far as I can tell).

I would gladly lose all the information that file # 30 (or all of CD#5) has if it means I could access the rest of the files.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Daniel

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Ghost, and other mirroring utilities, like DriveImage, are for making a image to another Hard drive not CDs. So you can simply switch out HDDs in case of a failure by your primary drive. You'd simply keep the second HDD installed as Slave and make the mirror image on it, Not CDs. But that's just MHO. :)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uhh... where did you get that idea? GHOST can write an image directly to CD, has had that ability for at least two years. :rolleyes:

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Have a nice try using 150,000 CDs to back up one HDD johnwill, the rest of us will do it the easy way. :D Hope it doesn't work as good as it did for this orginal poster.

Good luck

5. Peter_Brown

Peter_Brown

Ghost is used in the IT world every day to clone Disks and servers, I finished exchange today using ghost 03.

The extension on a ghost file is .gho, it is by definition an IMAGE file, read along as ghost is imaging to verify.

Is this a spanned set, if so you should have two extension GHS & GHO is that correct John??

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps the next time, if you want to be more clear, you could state that your opinion is that CD's aren't the ideal media. However, you simply stated your opinion like it was fact. :rolleyes:

BTW, not many of us have have a 100 terabyte disk we're trying to backup to CD's, AAMOF, not many of have a 100 terabyte disk!

You might also consider that not everyone is in the situation where they have extra hard disks laying around to bolt in if the primary fails. For the vast majority of folks, the CD-RW drive is the highest capacity backup device they have, so they have to make do. I always recommend people do an image verify before filing the CD's away, especially if they're the only backup.

Of course, I make my GHOST backups onto a USB disk, but I don't do an clone as you describe, I do an image file. I can have multiple image files of my boot partion on my 160gig drive, instead of wasting it on a single clone. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice