1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ghost

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by 24giovanni, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned Thread Starter

Someone gave a floppy with a title of GHOST on it. It contains the following folder/files:
    Ghost folder, ibmbio.com; ibmdos.com; mouse.com; mouse.ini. The Ghost folder contains Ghost.exe, ghost.ini, ghosterr.txt.

I don't want to click on the executable unless I know what it does and how I use it. If someone can provide me with the info on this I would appreciate it.

TIA

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

It is a Ghost Boot Disk. Clicking on the executables isn't going to hurt anything. You need to boot the floppy to use it.

3. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned Thread Starter

squash what does it do though? Oh and how do I set it up to boot to floppy please?

tia

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Ghost is a licensed product. It sounds like someone gave you a copy of theirs. Go buy it and read the manual and learn all about it.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

Ghost is a program that will create an image of your current disk and place it on some media as a (usually) single large file. That media being used for storage may be an other hard drive, another partition of the same hard drive, a network file server, a CD or DVD writer, even a USB drive. As long as your media has the capacity and capability of being reached by the Ghost imaging program, you can use that media.

The Ghost process requires the licensed program (some setups require your entering a keycode during the process, and/or during the recovery process).

Once you have the image stored wherever, then to recover the image requires the program you have on floppy. (The recovery program actually does not have to be on a floppy, but it is one of the more common methods.) So, you boot up with that "Ghost" disk, and at the correct prompts, direct it to where you have your stored disk image, and allow the process to "bring back" the image to get your hard drive back exactly the way it was on the day and moment it was when you created the image.

The floppy you have is not much use to you. You friend probably was under the impression that he is giving you something the will get your computer image stored. From what you described, it sounds like it is just the 2nd part you have, the recovery process. Not the initial "save my disk image" part.

It should not hurt anything to boot up with the disk, since you don't have a somename.GHO image file for it to use to place back on your hard drive. You could boot up to see what the screens look like, if you want. You are going to come to a end point really quickly anyway.

BTW, to "boot to floppy" means to place that floppy disk into your floppy drive of your computer (and some new computers are not coming with floppy drives) and then either turn on your computer, or just "restart" your computer, so that your computer will startup reading the required files from the floppy to install a usually minimal operating system (no, not Windows :) ) something like either DOS or a very basic graphic controlling interface so you can use your mouse and keyboard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!