1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ghosting Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DukeD, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DukeD

DukeD Thread Starter

I am doing a new build but there are a couple programs on my HD that I can't replace without a lot of difficulty. Can I ghost my new drive and install a new MB, etc? (I think I know the answer). If not, I saw a sticky here about this sort of thing but it was a bit dated. Do you think it's still valid? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is still valid however there are some issues;
    1 Your existing windows lic. Is this a big box and or oem lic? If so, you cannot move the windows install.
    2 Be sure to follow the guide exactly. When you go to shutdown [prior to any reboot] then make the image using an acronis boot disk to make the image.

3. DukeD

DukeD Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your advice. This is a desktop and I was going to install a new version of Win 7 (64 bit vs 32) so it would be a new licence.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you are going to install win7, then your programs are not going to work. They would need to be reinstalled in the new os. When you install a program, it writes files to it's own folder AND to the windows and or windows/system32 folder along with the relevant registry entries pointing at the location of those files.

In short, if you are clean installing windows, you need to reinstall your programs. You might get away with an in-place upgrade however upgrades are problematic at best.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ops, just saw you are going from 32bit to 64bit; there is no upgrade path so it must be a clean install. In addition, if the programs in question are old 16bit programs [which would run in win7 32bit] they are not going to work at all in a 64bit os. If the programs are 32bit, then there is a good chance they will work on a 64bit os [after they are reinstalled]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice