1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Giant Antispyware scan freezes.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MATTYO, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MATTYO

MATTYO Thread Starter

My giant antispyware scans files, folders, cookies, etc... When I run a scan it freezes once it gets to scanning cookies. It never did that before & now all of a sudden it does. I was in my documents & files & other stuff like that eraseing some cookies. Is it some thing I did? Did I erase an impotant cookie? Or is it just coincidence & my giant antispyware program is just screwed up? & how can I fix it?

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

I beleive Giant is now owned by microsoft and is known as windows defender now. I would suggest first move to uninstall this old giant utility and load defender.

3. MATTYO

MATTYO Thread Starter

Is there anything I can do besides paying for a new or an updated spyware? Can I just fix what I have now?

4. lister

lister

Windows Defender is free (if you have a valid copy of XP or later).

5. idowindows

idowindows

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

SAS is free for its scanner. For a full on shield you need to buy it. As for giant. I would just say if you wanna keep it just get windows defender and be done with it.

7. MATTYO

MATTYO Thread Starter

So no one knows how I can fix what I have? The scan freezes at " Scanning Registry : HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-18\software\netscape\netscape navigator\user trusted "

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

The reason i am saying update the software is because the bug may have been fixed in the newer version which works just as well as the old one. And this may fix the problem and give you more up to date software which will detect more problems than an outdated program will.

9. justfoo

justfoo

Another reason to update your software is that more threats will have been detected since your last probable update and so your chances of catching and eradicating spyware will be greater.

One note though, Defender is only compatible on windows xp service pack 2 and greater I believe.
    What is your pc running now?
    To find out you can right click on "my computer" and click properties.
    The window that pops up should should you what your operating system is and what service pack level you are at.
    Here is the link to Windows Defender download site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en&mg_id=10134

I'm not too sure how to shorten that up sorry.

Please note. It is advised on this site to use more than one anti spyware / malware program as each has its strengths.
    My list of programs that I use is:
    Windows defender, Spybot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft Adaware SE personal, AVG Antispyware, Super AntiSpyware,
    I also run Avast! antivirus software on top of that as well as a firewall from Sunbelt (kerio)
    Also check this forun thread for more helpful hints:
    http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/603629-security-help-tools.html

Hope this helps you,good luck.
    DF

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice