1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gibberish E-Mail - Why?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TomHeyd, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TomHeyd

TomHeyd Thread Starter

Most spam I can understand; "Buy this!", "Meet Singles in Your town"; "Pass this happy thought on for good luck".

Lately I have been getting SPAM that is simply 4 or 5 random words like;
    Bicycle
    Homework
    Suntan
    Algeria.

What is the purpose for the sender to do such a thing? Hoping I'll e-mail back asking him to stop so he knows he as a live e-mail address? Is there hidden code in the e-mail such that when I open it I get infected.

So far I don't think anything bad has happened to my PC, they are easy to spot, and there are not so many that they fill up my in-box. I just don't understand why they are being sent at all.

Any insight?

Thanks

Tom

2. Ratboy

Ratboy

TomHeyd,

It done in an attempt to bypass certain spam filters. Although 4 or 5 words is a pretty pathetic attempt. On the other hand, they seem to have gotten through to your Inbox. :eek:

See link below for a more detailed explanation.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2004/01/61886

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It's unlikely you've been infected, but by opening the mail it's very likely you've told the spammers that they do indeed have a valid E-mail address. It's like a hidden read receipt.
    Don't open spam. It will only get you more spam.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838194