1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.gif HTML combo.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by needafix, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needafix

needafix Thread Starter

Has anyone come across a .gif that was not a .gif but a !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" ?

I got one the past couple days. When an email service/website I use doesn't work it defaults to an error page and this error page is inside this spacer.gif. It is not a .gif in any sense of the term.

I tried to look at it with Irfan View but it could not read the header. When I try to open it with IE it is only a white box with a red X in with view source greyed out so I sent it over to my editor (as I do most things that do not cooperate) and there it was.

2. Molucky

Molucky

Its possible someone has tried to make a cookie stealer. IN other words when you go to the website that he linked you to, it comes up with an image. It will then download that cookie on to their fileserver as a .txt format and they will be able to see your username and password. Now im not saying thats what this is, its possible tho.

3. needafix

needafix Thread Starter

I wasn't linked to a website from inside an email that I may have clicked on when this happened. This has been going on at log in attempts. It is a reputable site and service and the target of my shortcut to get there is correct too. My traffic log doesn't show that I'm being redirected either.

If this is some type of subversion there is nothing in that account to gain from me anyway unless the alleged hacker was just looking to co-opt an email account to send some garbage to someone with a stolen email account from a highjacked IP address which would have to be a rookie to go through the trouble to do that since there are far more convenient and covert methods of doing something like that.

That service knows my connection anyway so if that happens that isn't a problem either. Worst case scenario in that is goodbye account since I would never have the password again.

So, what I ponder is why would that site hide their error page inside a .gif file extension.

More importantly, I'm curious to know which aspect or process of Windows they are using to pull that html doc out of that .gif and render it as a webpage since I can't duplicate that. I went over the source code of the log in page and the cloaked one and I don't know. My system is clean of junk as far as I can tell so to the best of my knowledge they aren't using any extra software helper to do that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice