Gigabank 6G USB drive becomes unallocated

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joseph_chen

I have a Gigabank 6G USB drive run pretty well in the first month. I have problem with the USB drive after I plug it in another laptop --- I can not read the data. The USB drive is detected but no letter is assigned. I try the FAQ from Gigabank which tells how to assign a letter for the drive in 'disk management' tool, but it can not help because the 6G USB drive is shown as "unallocated". the OS is Win XP.

I run ontrack data recovery software trial version and it can find most of my files. However, it costs $200. Too much for me.

The files are in the USB drive but seems that the file allocation table missing or can not be recognized... Any idea?

Do you think there is any other reason like USB power? I do notice the light of the USB drive is not on. But since the laptop can detect the USB device, I assume the power is fine.

Any idea? Thank you very much!

Good Morning Joseph, I haven't played with one of those devices but find this (free last time I used it) Vaiosoft program works pretty well with most removable gadgets. http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
It is called Recovery Manager and downloads and runs quite nicely. There is also a destruction manual which may help you, it is a PDF.

Under normal circumstances a drive letter is assigned automatically when you plug that device in, so it may be best not to touch that area. Assigning permanent letters may cause problems if you plug it to a different machine.
In that the files can be seen it seems to indicate that thing may be working.
This recovery manager should help, make sure you read the destructions before you do the actions, it is very user friendly. (quite amazing really)

With USP stuff you will find you have four connection tabs in the plug, two of these are used for data and two are used for power.
Sometimes if inadvertant plugging into defective sockets happens it may allow the two to meet which as you can imagine is very ungood. The sockets are actually quite fragile.
I would be suspicious that some problem exists to cause your indication to be lost.
Let us know if this program is successful, there are a lot of people with similar problems as yours and it is handy to be able to direct them to a reliable fix.
Cheers, qldit.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
It actually sounds like the drive may not be getting enough power. Does the drive have a external power source or a second USB/PS2 cable to supply it with additional power?
Does the drive work properly on the original laptop or on another computer?

joseph_chen

Good Evening qldit. :)

I download the software you provide. However, it does not work for my case.

My USB drive is not shown in the 'Connected Devices' list. My USB drive is not shown in my computer either. That is within my expectation. The Win XP can detect the USB device, however, it is shown as 'Unallocated' in 'Disk management' tools. Which sounds like, I have to format the USB drive first, then do anything else like assignment a driver letter. I guess I could see the drive if I format it... but I do not want to format the USB drive at this moment. I have files there... :(

Thank you very much!

joseph_chen

Thank you very much Triple6. :)

I tried it with the original laptop, it does not work. I tried it with several other desktops, it does not work either.

the drive does not have an external power source, nor a second USB/PS2 cable to supply it with additional power.

I notice Gigabank FAQ sugguest second USB/PS2 cable for the 80/100G drive. No for the 6G drive.

joseph_chen

Thank you JohnWill. qldit mention this.
It can not help. because the XP detect the USB drive as 'Unallocated', the USB drive is not shown in the VAIOSoft drive list.

joseph_chen

I chatted with IOMagic tech support guy.... They try to upgrade my IDE controller driver. At this moment, they only have driver of Intel... It doesn't work with my two laptops and one desktop...

They asked me to replace it. well, they metion they can retrive the data for free. Not sure it really works or not. Hope so.

Whatever, my feeling is that the product of IOMagic 6G Gigabank USB drive is not matured yet.

Thank you for all the reponses!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online