Gigabit not up to speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moxy

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with gigabit. My network only goes up to about 20% max when I do file transfers (video files mainly ~20gb). All cabling is cat6. Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Situation normal. :) In truth, most gigabit connections are limited by either the PCI bus speed or SMB protocol overhead for file transfers. I have gigabit all around here, and I was pretty disappointed at the small increase of performance over 10/100 Ethernet.

moxy

Hmmm, that IS disappointing considering that I spent around three times more on gigabit equipment than fast ethernet stuff. Oh well, I guess it's still better than nothing given it is still faster than 100mbps.

Look at the bright side, you won't need to upgrade your network capabilities for a REALLLY LONG TIME :D

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm adding to this... :)

I use DUMeter to measure my up/down speeds between PC's on my LAN.

I have *never* seen more than 350 mbps transferring files.

Is this due to the file transfer overhead or PCI bus speeds?

My computers are pretty new (both are PCIx SLI machines).... but I assume the Gigabit ports are only PCI.

I just want to make sure I have not missed some configuration issue that will substantially boost speed.

Thanks!

Wazoo

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's due to the SMB protocol overhead, you just aren't going to see any faster speeds. I get a maximum of 25mbytes/sec when transferring between two fast gigabit machines, one being a server. If I transfer between two workstations, the speed is significantly less.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online