1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gigabit switch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bozee89, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

I am considering to buy a Gb switch but will I have a faster transfer rate if my Ethernet router "100Mb" connected to my NAS and connected to an access pint with Ethernet ports in the first flour, then I am going to connect the Gb switch that I am going to buy to my Ethernet access point from this point I will connected my laptop to the new Gb switch. Will this speedup my network speed from 100 Mb to 1Gb when I access my NAS?

If this will work then I can use my buffalo powerline which has 100 Mb port to convert it to 1Gb when I am connected to my second powerline knowing that I have very low transmit rate between my second powrline and NAS due to distance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand most of your post, but maybe this general statement will answer your concerns ...

The bandwidth (speed) between device A and device B will be no faster than the slowest speed of A, B and all devices (routers, switches, etc.) between them.

3. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

Thanks you answered my question :)

4. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

This mean if the speed of device A is 100, I cannot get 1000Mb in device B, right?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right. It's sorta like water flowing through pipes of different sizes (diameters); the smallest pipe controls the maximum amount of water that can flow.

6. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

If device A " router" has 100Mb Ethernet port speed connected to a device B "NAS" that supports 1Gb speed (transfer rate between device A and B via Ethernet is 100Mb max). Will my transfer rate wirelessly won't exceed the 100Mb? Even if I use a 1300Mb speed router or 600Mb (300 + 300) dulband router?

I thinking it might not exceed the 100Mb because the speed between device A and B won't exceed 100Mb, am I right?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is correct.

If you connect a gigabit switch to the router, and then connect everything else to the new switch. the router will only restrict your internet access speeds. Devices connected to the switch can get gigabit speeds (if their own ports support it).

8. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

Hummm, I'll buy a new switch and see how things goes around!

9. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

I bought a new Gb switch and i applied the scenario of the previous post. my issue is when I upload using my Macbook and PC in the same time, the upload speed of my Mac will be reduced from 11MB to 6 MB same thing goes for my PC even when my PC is connected to the first band and my Mac is connected on the second band "Both of my Mac and PC in a different band of the same router". Moreover, when I am uploading to my NAS I can't connect to the WiFi if I disconnect from it and I have to wait for the upload to finish so I can connect back again to my WiFi, this is normal?

10. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

I got max of 4.5 MB speed when reading from my NAS but 11MB when writing wirelessly using 300Mb speed router. Is this normal?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice