1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by palandrose, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. palandrose

palandrose Thread Starter

well i got a gigabyte 990fxa-UD3 bored 3 moths ago, and this bored has been amazing until 2 days ago. that is when i decided to take all the fans out of my case and clean theme off. so after pulling all 6 fans out of my case, my ati radeon 6770 card, and my phenomeII X4 core 955 cpu cooler off and got theme clean, i put all the parts back in and... well suffice it to say something bad happend.

when i power the rig on, all her fans whirl as they should, all but the 6770's fan. it makes 3 full spins then just stops. keeps trying to rotate but just hangs, and yea no video, comp wont post. so i put the ram graphics, and cpu back into my old biostar mother bored (the 990fxa-ud3 was bought to replace), and well.. every thing works. so i was confused and though "maybe im drawing to much power?" so i go and unplug all teh case fans, well the 6770's fan keeps spinning, but the bored still will not post.

im going to RMA the bored, but id rather not if there is a way to fix this on my own. i have a hunch its the pci-e 3.0 slot... but i honestly am not sure..... figured you guys could shed soem light on it wile i wait for the RMA numbers and stuff to come in my email.

2. dai

dai

if you removed the cpu fan,then you have to clean off the paste on the heat sink and apply new paste

why would remove all the fans to clean them,it is a very unusual way to accomplish it

the video card fan sounds like something was blocking the fan from spinning,have you tried it on the giga board again to see if it now spins

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not possible since you only have pci 2.0
    You do not have to remove fans to clean them; simply blow out with a can of air.

Go back and recheck all of your work. Either you did not get a part installed correctly OR you have damaged your mb. As posted above if you removed the hsf, you must clean all parts and install new thermal compound.

One other item; just about all browsers have a spell checker. Please use it; your post is difficult to read with all of the misspellings.

4. palandrose

ah i had thought it did must have been the UD5 that had 3.0. regardless all the parts work on my biostar fine and dandy. so there has to be something specific with the 990fxa-ud3. as for can of air, i dont trust theme as some have a chemical which can short the components (i cant remember which chemical or what brands have it, thus why i avoid theme) and sadly i do not have a aircompresser around, but even still its wise to remove all moving parts from your machine when using a compressor.

also on the spell check thing, fire fox's is hit or miss with forums as of late. or you know you could just be accepting of the fact that most words are spelt correctly, and accept that people have dyslexia.

5. dai

dai

when you type in bored for the correct word board,spell check is not likely to pick it up as they are both legitimate words

6. trevordk

trevordk

You are more likely to cause damage by removing cooling components than blowing compressed air on them.

As for your problem, have you tried without your graphics card to see if the board will POST without it? Or have you tried using different PCIe slots to see if there is an issue with one specifically?

7. palandrose

tried it in all pci-e slots no go, and sadly i dont have a spare video card to use. the bored dos not have integrated video. i was afraid it was the video card at first my self. but i put her in my old biostar and ye shes running fine right now as i type... my old work partner said to try removing the CMOS battery and ressting the bios, that might help. going to try that in a bit.

8. palandrose

indeed sir. like i said falls on dislexia (and other mental/perception issues)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As you have now seen, you can do a lot of damage when you disassemble parts to clean them. A can of air does no damage unless you hold it upside down and get things wet then pw ON.

I have no problem with firefox; spell check works fine.
    No, that board does not have pci3 either. PCI-3 is not a function of the 990 chipset.

10. trevordk

trevordk

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless I am missing something, you have a gigabyte board and the link is for an asus board. Neither the ud3 or ud5 support pci3.
    In addition, if you read the link, the way that asus gets 3.0 is by a hardware chip added to the board. As I said the 990 chipset does not support pci3. While later variants of the chipset may have pci3 support, it does not natively support pci3 at this time.

12. palandrose

well regardless of you high and mighty attitude, you really didn't help, and to sum it all up, i had to simply pop out the CMOS battery to fix the issue. next time add some thing worth wile to the topic rather then trying to dictate what is proper to do and what is not. *** hat.

to the forum mods/admins, your more then welcome to close this thread/lock it or what ever. i solved the issue and i doubt ill be using this sites services again as your user base seems to have higher then though mentality. peace.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice