1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gigabyte and duron problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisforward, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisforward

chrisforward Thread Starter

please help.
    I have just bought an AMD duron 1.2Ghz and tried installing it on a GA-7ixe4 mobo.

upon powerup there are no beeps, and no video out. But there is power becuase the cpu fan is working.
    I've tried changing video cards (AGP and PCI), swapping memory (pc 100 ), even taking the mobo out of the case to ensure no unintentional earthing.

Even if i disconnect the monitor, i get no beeps.(surely i should get an error beep here)

The previous owner of the mobo had a 1.2G athlon, with pc 100 sdram.

I'm completly stumped, and have no idea if it's thje board or the cpu that is failing

Appreciate any comments/suggestions

Regards
    Chris

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

You wont get any beeps if the cpu is not recognized, which sounds like your problem. Make sure you have all the settings correct for the cpu, check the manual and go over all the settings again. Make sure the power switch wire is connected to the board, try reseating the cpu, make sure the video card is fully in the slot.

3. chrisforward

chrisforward Thread Starter

i believe it's because the board does not recognize the chip. Ive just tested the chip in another machine and it works.

By the way, i was reading the manual for the test mobo, which is an epox. It mentions if this is the case then hit 'insert' to set up the cpu. This gigabyte board didn't do anything when i did that. Does the gigabyte have a similar procedure?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice