1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gigabyte DS3 + sata confusions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dzuydoan, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dzuydoan

dzuydoan Thread Starter

hello all,

just got all my new parts and looks like this DS3 board has got me pretty confused with the sata nonsense.

-gigabyte ds3 rev 3.3
    -pentium conroe e6600
    -2gb crucial

firstly, i need to get the sata drivers from the gigabyte cd to floppy. there are 2 sata controllers on this board, gigabyte and intel. I believe gigabyte uses Jmicron drivers but for the intel one what is it? and what files do i need to copy onto the floppy?

a quick browse through the drivers cd had me more confused on which files to get over to the floppy.

but yeah i have no idea which are the drivers for intel controller, and google has not been of much help. or if anyone knows where i can DL them that would be helping out more!

also, what does running "sata as IDE" on the bios mean?!

any info would be much appreciated,

thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SATA IDE mode turns off some of the advanced features of SATA like RAID and AHCI functionality, its best to run SATA in Native, AHCI or whatever the other option Gigabyte gives you.

The Gigabyte RAID drivers you can download from their site: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...rboard&ProductID=2456&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3
    If you download the 3MB file and run it it will extract all the files, then you'll see a folder called Floppy32, from inside that folder copy all the files to a blank floppy disk and use then installing Windows if you use the Gigabyte SATA. There should also be a similar directory on the Gigabyte CD.

Intel also provides a download that will create the driver diskette easily if you intend to use the Intel SATA which is what I'd recommend: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng

3. dzuydoan

dzuydoan Thread Starter

you are the man!

lastly, i just read that if you have any IDE devices (cdroms or HD) you have to select the gigabyte controller to control as IDE, leaving the best setup with the satas on the intel controllers.

correct me anyone if i am mistaken.

oh the details that PC users must endure.....

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah thats about right. The JMicron controllers don't handle PATA IDE devices all that well. Intel makes really solid and stable hardware, I'd prefer to use the Intel controller whenever possible.

They do make SATA DVD drives now, and Intel has chosen to no longer support PATA in its latest boards.

5. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I posted about an issue with Jmicron controllers some months ago...Don't use them, at least in my case the drivers were faulty and this lead to BSOD. MSI told me to move my drives to native Intel's SATA ports and since then problems are gone. If you google a little about Jmicron you 'll come across a lot of problems on many different motherboards from various manufacturers.

6. replay

replay

if u load the gigabyte sata drivers at windows load, you won't have any probs with the jmicron .......actually u need to load the driver if u plan to use "ide" dvd/cdrom drives as they use the gigabyte controller

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice