1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gigabyte motherboard freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ladynimue, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

hi, I have a gigabyte GA-8IDLM 845 AGPset motherboard which runs happily on a 1.7 cpu but I bought a 2.8 intel cpu and it boots up no problem but then freezes up after 1 or 2 mins. The user manual says board supports intel pent4 cpu's but does not say how manty mhz it will support.
    Would it boot up if it was the wrong cpu or have I got another problem?

gigabyte motherboard
    2.8ghz Intel cpu
    2 166 pin dimm PC 100 ( two 128 sticks not enough but will get more)

ladynimue

2. photolady

photolady

Sometimes it takes a BIOS update to get a newer cpu to work. Especially, since you went almost a Ghz from one to the other. Check with Gigabyte on what process you need to do to make this work. Usually at Gigabyte they have a list of what CPU's your board will support and will also say something like "with BIOS revision and a number."

I checked this for you and according to Gigabyte, the highest CPU you can use is a 2.6 Northwood. Because your fsb is only 400. And you may have to change something in the BIOS to make this work. I'm reading the manual now, but further thought on this would be to buy a motherboard to match your cpu. Motherboards are cheaper and would be a lot less hassle but you'd have to change your memory type also, newer socket 478 motherboards use DDR memory.

3. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

hi, thanks ...looks like board will not take bigger cpu or if it does I do not know how to do it, problem now is when I put 1.7 cpu back in ..screen says cpu has been changed,windows can not load due to missing or corrupt file system....sys32 drivers missing. All I did was change cpu than change it back.....it says I can repair it from system disk but will not run disk...been going round in circles all day. Also at bottm of screen it say....hit del to enter setup/Q/Bios. What have I done ?
    Thanks ladynimue

Also what does Primary IDE channel no 80 ide cable installed mean?....this is on my daughters pc I think it means that the hard drive is not connected but it is,

4. photolady

photolady

You need to reset the CMOS by either moving the jumpers or removing the CMOS battery. When you do either this resets the CMOS back to default and should pick up your original cpu. And either one needs a minute or two up to a few hours to clear the cmos. Then once you get it back up and running right you will need to reset the time and date.

Btw, you did reinstall heatsink grease when you changed the processor back to original right? If not, you need to do that before trying the above.

No 80 IDE means you're using a 40pin/40wire IDE cable when you should be using a 40pin/80 wire cable.

5. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

hi,it has taken me ages to get it running but it is now or rather crawling!! I have put the old 1.7 cpu in and it works but so slowly and it still says q/bios,there fore I need to do something but I do not know what. With giabyte board there is a Q/bios when you press F8 on boot up but when I get there it says load bios from floppy....or save bios to floppy,
    What do I do ? I tried to save it to floppy but it said there was not enough space,
    Do you know what to do? by the way I did use thermal grease.
    The pc is running so slow there is something wrong
    thanks
    ladynimue

6. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

You don't say you followed photolady's advice to reset the bios?

7. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

hi, yes I did and a message came on screen when I got it started about bios and I think I must have entered wrong answer to the chioces it gave me. Can I just remove battery again as I now have os system on hard drive and it is working , it will start when I boot up . Do I need to make a start up disk as what it kept saying before was sys32 drivers missing. If I remove battery will I have this problem again

thanks
    ladynimue

8. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Standard rule: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Is it operating to your satisfaction now? If so it is a said to be a good idea to have back-up disks but I never have done that.

Anytime you remove the battery, the bios is reset to the default configuration that existed when the motherboard was shipped so you can do that as often as necessary . The technique is used to remove any bios settings that have been made that impaired the operation of the MB.

However, if your machine boots now, you can change the bios settings simply by entering the bios setup page while booting up so there will be likely nothing to gain by removing the battery.

If you still have a difficulty, please describe it here and someone will help.

9. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice