1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GigaByte motherboard - have I got 2 duds?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NZTony, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NZTony

NZTony Thread Starter

I recently bought two PCs to set up a DIY VHS to DVD conversion shop and have spent hours falling over obstacles.

Shopping list:
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2, dual channel RAM,
    1GB DDR400 memory, Twinmos
    AMD Athlon XP 3000
    40GB Seagate 7200rpm HD for OS
    2x200 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HD, one for recording onto and one for writing to.
    Radeon 9600 video card
    Prolink PlayTV TV card
    BENQ Dual DVD writer.

First problem was that WIN XP Home SP2 wouldn't load completely. It couldn't read/copy files. This was solved by putting the DVD drive and the HD in another PC and the OS loaded perfectly. So, nothing wrong with DVD drive nor HD.

Running ULead VideoSTudio8 keeps falling over during the conversion of video or Video/Audio multiplexing. I have loaded the latest BIOS from gigabyte and loaded an updated burn engine for Ulead and it has produced two runs without falling over. Maybe problem has gone, but I am running another job tonight.

These problems happen to both new machines which are identical.

Have I got TWO dud somethings or have I missed a setting?

My nest step is to try out my ASUS motherboard from my earlier PC in one of the new ones but this is now getting to "brute force" method. :(

Any suggestions out there?
    tony

2. kronus

kronus

On the XP installation:

I've found that some times you need to slow down your processor or remove a bit of ram so (it seems) as to not confuse XP. It's odd but it works.

As for the uLead software, hopefully someone comes along who has used it. I can't help you there.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What have you done to troubleshoot the system?

Some suggestions.

1 Download and run memtest86 it will test your memory.

2 Check your temps. This can be done in the bios. For an AMD XP chip I like to see <50C. A simple test for overheating is to remove the side cover and place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. If the problem stops, you have found the cause.

3 Power Supply. If you have a no name generic power supply, do yourself a favor and dump it. Poor quality ps cause all types of problems.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other suggestion. If the hardware checks out ok, run an app that will stress the system like prime95. Do this in safe mode. If it runs ok in safe mode for a few hours, then you have eliminated hardware as a problem and can concentrate on software / drivers as the problem.

5. NZTony

NZTony Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.
    PS is AcBel 400w.
    Ran Memtest86 overnite on both PCs and no errors.

Have seen the CPU temp in setup and it's below 50C(at idle). I will install motherboard monitor to see what it is during video processing.

The smaller memory might have allowed the OS to load(the old PC only has 512MB). One OS load was in the old PC and the OS load was in a new PC with the old PC's memory.

The job ran last nite without a problem. Have kicked off another without rebooting and it has got stuck at 94% of finalising VOB... damn! :mad:

My next test is to try ULeadVS8 in the old PC(ASUS A7N8X, AMD XP2500, 512MB) WITHOUT the burn engine update.

tony

6. NZTony

NZTony Thread Starter

ULead v8 would not run in the old PC. Starting to look like software problem, except for the failure to load OS.

I wonder....

There is one thing that I am not sure about.
    The Gigabyte motherboard has mounting holes with a circular bit of solder, top and bottom, which does not connect with the circuitry
    There were some fibre washers provided but not enough to pair off with the holes so I left them out and screwed the board directly onto the case chassis. There were three rows of three screws and one row needed spacers.
    There is no special note in the instructions to ensure that there is a washer top and bottom.
    Could this be causing my problem?
    Do I need to get some more washers and insulate the holes from the chassis?

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try upping the vdimm voltage to 2.77. :)

The holes and the washers aren't the problem. Dual channel boards are very picky about ram.

One other thing, I had a similar problem before where the power supply was the problem. It wasn't providing stable voltage. If your using a generic PS that shipped with a case, consider trying a name brand quality one.

8. NZTony

NZTony Thread Starter

Sorry to be thick, but how do you change the vdimm voltage? :eek:

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It'll be in the advanced overclocking options in the bios..

On this bios page:
    [​IMG]

10. NZTony

NZTony Thread Starter

Thanks, I saw that page but it only lets me go +0.1v or +0.2v or "Normal"(2,5v I believe).
    I won't be able to set it at 2.77v.
    cheers
    tony

11. NZTony

NZTony Thread Starter

Problem solved.

Found that the mobo has a switch which keeps FSB at 100MHz and multiplier at 13 so I was running at only 1.3Hz. Flicking the switch got FSB up to 166 and the machne is running at design speed of 2.18GHz. This made for a flawless load of WIN XP. (y)

Next, SATA driver for the motherboard was version 33. I have replaced it with version 51.

Found the problem while going thru the event log which showed the device had timed out several times during the job.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to the overclocking sites too with this question and learned from the reading I have done there :)

12. grantmg

grantmg

Good call on increasing the DIMM voltage guys...that worked for me and solved crashing during games. You'd think today's BIOS would auto set correct settings for this kind of stuff.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice