1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gigabyte motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Godmyeyesarebad!, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godmyeyesarebad!

Godmyeyesarebad! Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stuart
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8189 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1430596 MB, Free - 1334064 MB; J: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 128318 MB; K: Total - 1907695 MB, Free - 1810398 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-870A-UD3, x.x,
    Antivirus: BullGuard Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

My PC specs are as above.

I have a CD/DVD drive with the Lightscribe facility which I can't get to work. I've been in touch with Lightscribe and their forum and they say it could be a problem with the mobo settings. Here is a copy of their last posting :
    In your particular case your Samsung Lightscribe drive requires AHCI to be enabled on the SATA port the drive is connected to. Apparently Gigabyte motherboards do not have AHCI enabled by default. Ask your tech to walk you through/perform the process and verify changing the setting doesn't adversely affect any of his configuration. It involves editing the registry in Windows 7. (The value data entry is numeric 0 ) I think your motherboard may also support individual or bank SATA port mode configuration in the BIOS settings so the method is best left to your tech. I also was talking to Samsung tech support and he thinks as well that that is your underlying problem at this point.....

My value data entry is numeric 3. I have done some research and found this site useful
    http://www.windows7news.com/2010/05/25/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7/
    but I think I need some guidance when it comes to the BIOS settings. I've been trying to contact the techie who built the PC but I've not had any response to my emails and it's been going on for quite some time now so I thought maybe I would like to have a go at it with the help from this forum.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice