1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gigabyte transfers?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JohnWill, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

I have a curious situation with two gigabit cards in a couple of my machines.

I installed the two gigabyte cards in addition to my normal LAN to allow my prime machine and my backup machine to have a faster link for quick transfers. To insure the machines didn't get confused about two paths, I disabled the other link for my tests. The two cards are directly connected with a cable, and they're auto-sensing, so it's a straight CAT5e cable.

I can browse to the remote machine and drag-n-drop a large file in explorer to the remote machine, and I get what looks like 100mbit speeds, about 8mbyte/sec. OTOH, if I grab a file on the remote machine and drop it in a local directory, I get 25-30mbyte/sec, which is probably limited by the hard disks.

The curious thing is, this happens no matter which machine I'm doing it on, i.e. it's not a problem moving data one way or another over the gigabyte link.

I've tried the test with just TCP/IP, just NETBEUI, and with both, the results are basically identical.

Anyone got any idea what's going on?

2. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

I think you are well aware of what's going on, you just like bragging the fact that you've got "two gigabyte cards"

"I have a curious situation with two gigabit cards..."
    "
    "I installed the two gigabyte cards in addition..."

Which are you using? GB Gb

Please let me know when you've got the CAT6 installed(y)

Q. WHY DON'T FISH GO NEAR COMPUTERS?
    A. They're afraid of getting caught in the Net.

3. JohnWill

I think you assume facts not in evidence. :rolleyes:

I have test equipment in my shop that costs more than all of the nine or ten computers that are here, why in the world would I be bragging about two $35 NICs? I'm actually truly interested in solving the problem that transfers initiated from a computer to the remote are slow, but transfers the other way are fast. Perhaps next time you'll either say something constructive or nothing at all.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Are the computers themselves the limiting factors? The PCI busses or the motherboard chipsets may be slowing things up in one dorection and not in the other. What about the OS'es on each of the PC's?

5. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

http://forums.techguy.org/t165879/s.html
    funkenbooty
    How do you test the speed of your LAN?
    (09-19-2003 05:34 AM)
    I have two PC’s connected with CAT5 crossover and what I am doing is using NetStat Live to measure the speed while transferring a 75MB file over the LAN. The max speed indicated by NetStat is 14.8Mb, when transferring from 98 to XP, but when going XP to 98 the max is 34.7Mb. Wondering why speed isn’t higher, and why the big difference depending on the direction of the transfer Both NIC’s have the latest drivers and are set to 100Mb. Any tweaking suggestions are welcome.

Johnwill
    (09-19-2003 08:36 AM)
    It has to do with the speeds of the machines, the specific capability of the NIC's, the drivers, and the O/S.

I've noticed a similar phenomena with various machines here, but I've never spent any time tracking it down.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "I have test equipment in my shop that costs more than all of the nine or ten computers that are here, why in the world would I be bragging about two $35 NICs?"

I think I'm sticking with the theory that you just like to brag. Not an assumption of fact, just a theory.
    :D (y)

6. JohnWill

You apparently didn't totally comprehend my original post. I can repeat the test at each machine, and the speed is always slower when writing from the machine I'm sitting at, i.e. "pushing" a file to the remote machine. The link is capable of moving data in either direction at the faster speed, I'm just trying to figure out why it won't. :) Since the primary purpose of this link is to provide a speedy backup from one machine to another, the writing speed is the one I'm interested in.

FWIW, someone pointed me at QCheck , which is a network speed analyzer, and it gives me between 400 & 500 mhz speed readings in each direction, further evidence that the LAN link isn't the issue.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Its all to do with aknowledgement. When you transfer files the inititiating machine will check the status of the file written probably block by block. When you PUSH a file that involves an enormous amount of extra network traffic. When you PULL the checking is local.

8. JohnWill

Hmm... I wonder how I'm supposed to use my new found network speed to do backups, since presumably all of the activity will be writing to the remote system. :confused:

FWIW, I suspected as much, since it seems the network isn't the bottleneck at this point. I think it's time to fire up Ethereal and watch a small file written and read across the network. :)

There's got to be some tweaks that can speed the writing, hard to imagine at it's that limited...

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think there is an option somewhere that allows you to tell it not to check, but I cannot remember where it is.

10. JohnWill

Well, I'll keep looking, a significant part of the gigabit experiment is just to get some experience with it, because I'm being asked about it more nowadays. Can't sound very intelligent if I've never tinkered with it. :D

11. Blackout-

Blackout-

hi johnwill, im experiencing the same problem. Fast speeds one way, slow the other. I have 2 PCs running XP, one has an onboard Gigabit (3Com 3C940) and the other i have installed a Netgear GA302T. Im using a "straight thru" 5E cable as it has been suggested directly between the Gigabit ports. After two days i also tried a crossover cable in frustration.

It seems i can get them to work at 100Mb both ways with typical speeds (with either cable) but when i speed both drivers in the machines up to 1000, i get faster speeds one way but terribly slow speeds the other. Ive been rebooting both between each change so theres no question of "driver unrest".

Both machines register a "1.Gig LAN" connection in the system tray, and the Netgear has a row of LEDs on the back that shows the hardware detected speed, and thats also lit up as 1000. And im getting Giga-style speed one way. If only i could get it to go fast the other way too. :( As an indication, to transfer a 1 gig file one way, it jumps across the machines in about 60seconds, the other way it takes about 24 minutes! With both PC's set to 100, i can transfer the 1 gig file either way in about 2 mins.

Im still not sure if the actual properties of Gigabit can support direct connection, but ive been trying everything to get it going. If it works both ways, it would be pretty impressive. My guess is that its down to some "handshaking" between the two ports and drivers, but theres such limited settings in the drivers. Any info youve discovered would be appreciated.

With thanks,
    Blackout

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice