1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 1080 Not Displaying on Initial Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vagabond251, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vagabond251

vagabond251 Thread Starter

NOTE: I did have a thread for this topic up before but I marked it as solved and thought that I needed to create a new topic. If I was mistaken please let me know. I don't want to violate any policies. I honestly just didn't know what to do in this case. I wanted to delete this thread and bring back the "solved" thread but couldn't find a delete option. I sincerely apologize for any offense or inconvenience.

Hey everyone,

What is happening is that every time I boot my machine I get no display. On a restart it immediately picks it up. Additionally there is no display on wake from sleep.

I posted about this about a month ago and then sent in my card for RMA. They said they found no problems though. I'm pretty worried because my system runs two 4GB Windforce 770s in SLI with no problems. Some people have suggested swapping the DisplayPort cable but I don't see that doing anything.

Here are my system specs as best as I can give right now:
    CPU: i5-3570 @ 3.40GHz OC'd to 4.0 GHz (note I made the OC change AFTER sending the card in)
    Motherboard: ASrock Z77 Extreme4 BIOS P2.0
    HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
    PSU: Corsair HX1000w

Things I have tried:
    -Switching PCI-e slots
    -Changing DisplayPort ports on the graphics card
    -Upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary
    -Tried the three latest NVIDIA drivers
    -Uninstalled the Xtreme Gaming Utility
    -Confirming Fast Boot is turned OFF in BIOS

Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling really stuck here. They say they'll ship me a new one if their technical support can't help anymore (they were the ones who suggested sending the card in in the first place though and even though I updated my ticket with them I'm guessing they won't have much to suggest).

Thanks in advanced. Let me know if you need more system info.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. lynx1021

lynx1021

vagabond251 likes this.
  3. vagabond251

Ugh sorry you are right. I'm at work right now, just got off the phone with Gigabyte after talking with friends all morning. We're shooting in the dark here. I'm pretty sure I have Primary Graphics Adapter set for PCI Express. My 770s wouldn't work without it would they? I did read somewhere about changing it from PCI to PEG in the BIOS. Although wouldn't it already need to be set for PCI-E if it's running two 770s?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. lynx1021

lynx1021

When you put the 1080 in did you go to the NVidia control panel and turn off the settings for SLI?
    From your manual "Primary Graphics Adapter
    This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot
    graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI Express]."
    Not sure what this is "IGPU Multi-Moniter
    This allows you to enable or disable IGPU Multi-Moniter. The default value
    is [Enabled]. If you install the PCI Express card under Windows® XP /
    VistaTM OS, please disable this option"
    "PCIE 2 Link Speed ?? No info.
    Some said to disable onboard in Device manager also?. And quit turning the power supply switch off!

vagabond251 likes this.
  5. vagabond251

I always installed a new driver so SLI is disabled by default I believe. It may have been set to on initially but it was definitely off while I was still having the issue. If PCIe is default then that's likely what it is set as since I don't believe I made any changes.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Do you have a code on your Dr. Debug LED readout when it has the black screen? Wouldn't hurt to look at those settings in the Bios that I asked about. Latest Drivers 372.70 - WHQL 8/30/16 http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/107012 They must be having problems if they are updating that quick.

vagabond251 likes this.
  7. vagabond251

Hey Lynx. Sorry for the delay. I was driving. The PDA was set to PCI-Express. PCIE2 Link Speed was set to Auto. I still don't think it's a driver issue because Gigabyte literally just tested it. It would be way too coincidental for them to have updated their driver IMMEDIATELY before testing the card and having it be the driver that fixes it. Also, the card won't arrive until next Wednesday so I'm not sure if there was a code or not. I don't believe there was though. There was no difference in LEDs from when it would display and when it would not. Sorry if that's not much help.

8. vagabond251

I received the card today and the ONLY thing I did was use different PCIe cables (modular ones, not direct) from my PSU. Wakes from sleep. Displays on boot. Tested multiple times. Wha?

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

Glad to hear things are looking up, maybe the wired cables have bad solder joints causing a power drop in the wiring.

vagabond251 likes this.
  10. vagabond251

I was thinking that too since they did barely reach the 1080 when I first tried. I was doubtful though because they work perfectly on the 770 I use as the main display card in my older configuration. I guess even though they are both 2x8 pin cards the 1080 may need more power to fully boot up. I guess we will never know. OR Gigabyte messed up the RMA report and actually did stuff to it without marking it down OR their "50 hour test" process might have kick started something. Thanks for keeping up with my lynx.

11. vagabond251

So I got a brand new card from Gigabyte and it is having the same issues so I think it's my system I just can't figure it what it could be. Anyone have any thoughts. Worked fine with my 2 770s.

I've gotten in touch with ASRock since at this point I'm thinking it's a driver/setting/software issue as opposed to a piece of my hardware. They suggested changing my PCIE link speed to Gen 1, 2, or 3. I may be wrong and just in denial that I need to make another purchase.

Any help would be really appreciated. Sorry for reviving an old topic and having a false "SOLVED."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  12. vagabond251

Made the change to PCIE Link Speed Gen 2 and still no good.

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

Only other thing I can think of is try a different power supply.

14. vagabond251

Hey Lynx. Thanks for getting back to me (again). I'm going to use a power tester tonight to test the PCIe cables. If they perform ok on the test could the PSU itself still be the problem? I can always buy a new one but I feel like this one isn't bad per se, might just be having issues with how much power the new card takes. I feel like it's just the way the PSU is managing the 8 pin cables on the slightly more demanding 1080 card. I feel like it's just not getting all the juice it needs to fully display.

I'm also going to be trying another motherboard on Thursday so I'll find out Friday if that does anything also.

15. vagabond251

Alright so we tried a different PSU and it worked fine for two days and then this morning I got the usual blank screen again on boot. I can't imagine it's the motherboard but my buddy has another Z77 board (made by Gigabyte) that we are probably going to try next. What I'm worried about is if the replacement board tests ok after a week or two and then I send my current board to ASRock and they don't find a problem with it because it seems to be something about this specific configuration that is causing the card to fail on boot. Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice