1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GIMP 4.2.1 won't load

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by good grief, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. good grief

good grief Thread Starter

Hi
    I am running Vista home basic. Today I downloaded the latest version of GIMP to try it out. It looks like it could be really good - if I can manage to get it to load. It appears to install fine, but when I attempt to run it, it gets to zealouscrop.exe and stalls, Vista immediately throwing up a window asking if I want to either close the programme, or close the programme and check online for a solution. I have tried both. The only way I can shut it down, is to right click on the dashboard icon for GIMP, and close it from there, otherwise windows keeps throwing new queries at me from a succession of new windows.

I did a search for zealouscrop.exe, and found some 2006 entries for this, saying to copy some files from one folder to another, which apparently worked for some people. I can find the folder to copy from, but not the destination folder.

Since this programme has undergone a series of modifications since 2006, I am a bit reluctant to follow this advice anyway, in case it is out of date.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, but the problem remains the same. I am wondering if someone familiar with this programme can offer any suggestions. I can find nothing up to date regarding this problem in the GIMP forums, and as many of the questions in there are unanswered, I felt it would be better to try here first.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Could be a bit spotty working with Vista. Have you tried running the program in XP compatibility mode?

3. good grief

Hi fairnooks, and thanks for your reply.

I have been mulling over your suggestion of running it in compatibility mode. I haven't had a lot of luck when I've tried compatibility mode, possibly because I'm not too sure of what I'm doing, but other than that, it doesn't seem to be behaving the same way as when I've had other compatibility problems. When it gets to this zealouscrop.exe, the crash is instant, and when I looked at the info, it said appcrash, (and a lot of other things I have no idea about). It's like there's something missing in that particular app. There is reference to some other things that may need adding on the GIMP site, but I'm not sure whether I need them, or whether they were needed for previous versions. This is the trouble when you're a beginner, you simply don't have prior knowledge to fall back on.

I've been putting off downloading these things to try them out, because I'm on dialup, and one of these things is bigger than GIMP (mind you, so is the help file), which took an hour and a half to download.

I read the readme stuff on the site, news etc., and it appears they have been making this compatible with Vista since about January this year, so I was hoping they had all the bugs out. It may just be that I will have to download this other stuff, and try things out.

Do you use GIMP yourself? If so, what version etc, and did you have to download extra stuff to make it work?

Thanks for your help

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I've used GIMP a little in the past but not with Vista at all. I, like many others, found it very powerful but also very difficult to use. So now I use Paint Shop Pro for my everyday high volume workflow retouching and when I need to use the big guns I fire up Photoshop CS2.

Tell ya what though, I'll go get GIMP! and see if I can get it to run on my Vista Home Premium system and report back.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

First of all, its not a good sign if the help files are 2 megs larger than the program itself is it?

That said, I had no problem installing and running the latest version (2.4.1) of GIMP on Vista. It looks cool, nice interface, lots of menu options.

Unfortunately as soon as I made a selection of part of an image the superimposed menus became invisible. I could just see a little shaded outline where the menu box was but the image bled through the rest of it completely. NOT GOOD!

Doesn't look like its ready for prime time yet to me if I can come up with a seperate problem that quickly.

The only thing I've done to my system that may differ significantly from yours is that I turned off UAC at another poster's suggestion. Like I said though even if turning off UAC got you by your problem, I think you'd quickly run into other problems using the program so I would suggest using an alternate at this time.

Good luck if you're more stubborn than I am though.

6. good grief

Wow! fairnooks, above and beyond the call of duty! Very very much appreciated.

I have read that GIMP can be difficult and confusing to use, so I read through the help book online. My computer came with Studio 5.5 pre-loaded, and their help file is rudimentary at best. Reading through the GIMP stuff has actually helped me to understand how to use Studio 5.5, as much of the photo editing software appears very similar. Like you, I had planned on using the 'easier' one for that sort of stuff, and GIMP for the rest, as it appears to have plugins, and you can also ADD stuff to it, which you can't do in Studio 5.5 unless you pay through the nose, and even then, there isn't much to add.

I'm probably going to run into some problems with RAM (only have 512Mb) on my home basic, but I run into that now with Studio 5.5. I just have to work round it, and am looking at ways to free up more.

Once again, thanks for your help

7. good grief

Thanks again for your help fairnooks, we seem to have posted at the same time.

I don't think I'll persist with it at this point in time. I think you are right - it's just not ready yet. Disappointing, but I have enough trouble as a newbie as it is without taking on something with this amount of problems, although I AM generally stubborn...

Wasn't too worried about the help being so big as they seem to have put a great deal of effort into explaining things clearly, especially for newcomers like me and it's nicely presented etc.

Just for future reference though, for when/if they get these problems sorted out, re turning off the UAC... is that just while it installs, or would you have to keep it off in order to use the programme?

Regards A

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice